Mk5 door lock/handle mechanism

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by jmsheahan, Apr 21, 2015.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Since buying my mk5 the passenger door lock hasn't worked which I assumed was a failed regulator. The past couple of days its started working when I lock the car but not unlocking unless I pull the handle from the inside. You can hear the regulator make a weird whirr noise when locking but it isn't sounding healthy. In addition the door handle feels a little loose, not sure if this is related?

I know this is a common mk5 problem and I don't want to end up having the door deadlocked shut.

I've ordered a new regulator motor which most of the mk5 forums recommend but are there any other door lock problem areas I should be aware of? Just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar issue.

Cheers :thumbup:

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

There is a guy on the Facebook page having trouble, Adam Jenkins, not sure if he has sorted his yet??

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

CHANGE THE LOCK MECH BEFORE IT DEAD LOCKS! Otherwise you'll have to cut the outer door skin open to get access

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Is that the regulator like I've ordered dan or is there another problem part?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

Cutting the door skin open is a bit drastic! Pop the lock blank cap off, drill a hole in the blank and use a long punch through the hole to smash a hole in the door lock and it will open.

If it sounds funny it probably is the lock playing up but then if it's opening from the inside handle but not the outer then it's possibly an issue with the handle being fitted incorrectly or the handle retainer is broken