Mk5 front wings and VW's 12year corrosion cover

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by 1990, Apr 1, 2015.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

My car has some bubbling on the drivers side wing, the passenger one was replaced a couple of years ago by VW for the same reason.

I plan to take it to the dealers but heard they will try to get out of it. Can anyone give me some more info before I go down there?

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Mal C Forum Member

My mate has a 2005 GTI and had both wings replaced last year under corrosion warranty they will only refuse if it has been painted before but if original they'll change it - there is some sponge that sits against inside of wing that absorbs moisture or something that then obviously rusts the wing - bad design so when replacing they change that for some other material or remove it completely as I got told - hope this helps mate

Trev16v, 1990 and jamesa like this.
  3. 1990

Cheers Mal, The previous owner has touched it up, I hope that wont be an issue.

4. Mal C Forum Member

If they do I'd be saying something along the lines of - well I put some touch up paint on it to try and make the shoddy workmanship look a little better but then found out that it was a common recall and covered under warranty so brought it in to you - don't think that will be an issue only if it has been sanded down/painted then they could probably say down to other poor work

5. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, I'd go down this route if it is questioned.

VW will use a paint thickness gauge to check for evidence of resprays etc. You can always argue the rest of the panel is good (assuming the PTG confirms this).

Also, check between the bottom of the front wing and the sill. You might see a spot of rust on the top of the sill. It might be easier to see with the door wide open and looking down past the hinges. This is another common spot.

I took mine in this time last year. I didnt have to say too much to the VW bodyshop guy. They sorted the wing and spot on the sill, but they wouldnt even submit the claim for the small amount of rust on the lip, behind the boot lid badge - saying it could be down to a scratch (are finger nails that sharp?).

However - this year I noticed a paint defect (it had cracked slightly) on the sill repair... and also mentioned I'd like to get the boot badge lip rust sorted (I was intending to pay for that myself, but didnt say anything). This time by chance I was speaking to the head of the Bodyshop management team.... he said he will get the sill sorted, and also submitted a warranty claim for the boot lip rust - which has been approved. Result.

So sometimes, if you dont get anywhere with one person, try another (or a different dealership). I had also had the car in with that same dealership for a service, mot, and aircon service etc... so had spent a bit of money there (in the 1st month of ownership lol). I dont know if that makes a difference, but I felt a bit more confident going in asking for a repair already being a customer. But to be honest, they cant refuse to honour a manufacturers warranty just because you havent spent any money with the dealership.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

This is interesting. My 2004 MK5 has the wing corrosion, although it is very slight.

It's a car I bought quite recently. Is there any need to have a full dealer service history, or any form of original warranty paperwork?

7. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

you will need evidence of the car being serviced regularly, but it doesnt have to be a VW service history.

I only owned my car for a month before requesting a repair. It had a full/regular service history, but it was with an independent garage. The only 2 services with VW were the 1st service ever and the service I had done after I bought it.

Warranty paperwork - you dont need to produce anything. And to be honest, I the only mention of warranty most owners will have is what ever is printed in the owners manual as standard.

Trev16v likes this.
  8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Went through this a few weeks ago. I was told the warranty was 10 years by the dealership (my Mk5 is just within this).

Bodyshop guy was sound, I didn't need to provide any evidence of service history. He didn't even take any paint readings to be honest.

Outcome was wings are done under warranty but the sill (very minor surface grot on the drivers side) they'd only cover 50% as a good will gesture.

9. 1990

Thanks to you all for the info :)

Jon, did they do a good colour match on yours?

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Doesn't need to have regular servicing.
    It's bodywork not mechanicals.
    I've had mine done and they just check the paint depth and then go from there.
    The wings should now be covered 100%. The sills tend to be 50% but you could argue it. All according to the main bodyshop guy at Leicester

11. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Good point Beetie re service history. Don't know why they went through mine so closely :-S

Paint match on mine is pretty good. I'm quite picky but no expert.

12. Scutler Forum Member

I can check the paint thickness if you want mate before you take it in......

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Its alright, not perfect if I'm honest Ian. Paints good but it wasn't blended, literally just wings sprayed.

14. MonkeyDog New Member

My 2006 car is just starting to bubble on both front wings.
    It says in the paint warranty that the covers is for perforation. Will they repair the bubbling paint as it will lead to perforation?
    Anyone know please?
    Thanks

15. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

I had rust on both of my 03 Passat wings about 4 years ago. Dealer used every excuse in the book to not do it. It's not original paint, it's been caused by poor maintenance etc... In the end they offered a deal where I paid for labour only.....400! I got two wings off eBay in the colour I needed for 125. It's things like this which cause me to avoid dealers full stop.

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Should get it done for free with any luck. Due to the foam in the wheel arch.

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

18. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've had my mk5 TDI approved in the last few weeks, I've got very very very minor bubbling on edge of the front arch. Hardly visible, but VW agreed to pay full repair costs.

Also had my missus 04 plate polo approved too, brand new wing, with VW covering full costs. :thumbup:

19. MonkeyDog New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'll let you know how I get on.