Mk5 golf 1.6 FSI Engine Judder

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Garrygolf, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Garrygolf New Member

Hi,

bit of a nooby with golfs & club gti, just upgraded from a peugeot 206...thank god and looking for some advice on a fault of mine!

I have a golf Mk 1.6 FSI on 75k miles, it's recently developed an engine shudder/judder (most violently when cold) however its consistent so it doesn't stop when the engine warms up, just gets a little calmer. Before you go thinking its a mis-fire, its not - I've recently had new spark plugs and 2 new coil packs.

Theres no warning lights, and VAG-COM doesn't pick anything up. It's getting extremely frustrating and every time I take it to a dealer it's settled down and they keep telling me its normal BUT ITS DEFINITELY NOT!!! [:x] Any ideas what I could be looking at here?

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Hi Garry,

could be a could number of things, flywheel being a duel mass item is likely to case a judder/missing feeling without storing a fault.

low compression is another cause of light missfires
    - but can be noticed though the ecu with a keen eye!

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Is it the rear engine mount? A friend had a problem on one of these? Its noticeable when clutch bites.

4. Garrygolf New Member

Thanks for the reply, I don't think it will be low compression because vag-com would pick this up wouldn't it?

Nothing noticeably different when the clutch is engaged, only when idle!

Duel mass flywheel quite possibly actually considering how consistent it is... I'll have a look into it.

Any more suggestion would be appreciated.

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if compression was so low to cause a missfire, yes the engine module would notice
    if it was just before that point it could have a feeling of a missfire *soft miss