Mk5 Golf reverse & fog light faults problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bones, Apr 9, 2023.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

Im hoping someone can help me with this. I've ignored this problem for the last few weeks or so. Initially it was the reverse light that went, but shortly afterwards the fog light also went. I changed the bulbs and checked the fog light switch and fuse #13. Nothing worked so I suspected the wiring loom in the shell to boot lid rubber boot. Hence why I've avoided the job. Anyway I've taken the boot trim all off and checked for anything obvious. I've listened the loom off in the boot so I can get a good look at all of that part of the loom. I found x2 white wires with a bit of the inner wire bare and also a heavily kinked and stressed earth wire that looked like it led up into the appropriate loom. I've cut out and replaced those short sections of wire. Soldered at each end and heat-shrinked. I've still not fixed the problem and I'm at a loss for what to do next. Do you have any suggestions? The only electrical test equipment I have are my eyes. It doesn't help that the stupid VW system shuts off the circuits with the faults in to protect itself.
    To top it off I'm out of MOT too.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Reverse light signal comes from body module under steering, connector C pin 12, black/blue wire, you can test all the way back.
    Fog light comes from same module, connector C pin 3, grey/white wire.

Attached Files: