mk5 golf

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by bigeyd, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bigeyd Forum Member

is it worth buying?

I've read all the reviews but didn't know if anyone has any gripes with them.......well someone who doesn't get paid to review cars

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

2.0l TDi is f**kin lovely to drive. Shed loads of power for a diesel and loads of knobs and whistles on it.

Not a clue about the GTi tbh

3. Seraph Banned

test drive one, and let US know! ;)

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I can second that! It's a great car, loads of torque and lots of equipment and trillions of mpg compared with my Mk2, even at silly speeds. At 120+ on the autobahn, it's still indicating over 40 mpg!

Only two very minor complaints - inside vision is not too good (although I'm tall) and the B-pillar in a 3 door get in the way when you're pulling onto motorways.

And strangely, the steering wheel! The leather peels off! It's my son's car, and he wears a ring so that didn't help, but when he mentioned it at the main dealer, they just said they'd give him another one, no arguements (whereas they wouldn't consider a new windscreen, despite 2 stone holes). Seems like they may have had issues with this before.

5. richgit Forum Junkie

The leather coated section on the centre of the wheel indeed peels off!

My mk5 sport already has a tiny bit rub off, and another little niggle with mk5's are the rear offside electric window switch (on the drivers door controls). It gets stuck in the "up" position.
    Edited by: richgit

6. Seraph Banned

i want the 176bhp mk5 diesel! [:D]