mk5 gti cam chain rattle

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by chrisbex123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. chrisbex123 Forum Member

Morning all.:)
    I work for a warranty company for my sins, and we currently have a claim pending for a cam chain rattle mainly when warm on the '06 gti with 84k on it.
    After an assessment the diagnosis is still vague and the repairer want to replace chain, tensioner and all associated parts as a matter of "good engineering practice".
    Has anybody on here had any similar failures/experiences on this engine and can shed any light on what actually fails, be it chain stretch, tensioner faulty etc as this is a strange fault.
    I know the 1.8t's suffer but never had any issues with the t-fsi.

Many thanls in advance
    Chris.:thumbup:

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

yes I have seen a few of these, mostly to the point of were it has snapped causing a huge bill as you can imagine....
    either the cam had seized in the head causing the cam to snap the chain, or the chain had failed

if I can recall what you have listed would be the right fix, but how far are the rest of components?

would require cams removed ( cambelt removed from the top sprocket)
    I have in the back of my head there is a small guaze in that area supplying oil - but I could be wrong on that one!

It's been a while since I've rebuilt, or had one stripped!

3. chrisbex123 Forum Member

Cheers crispy. Ended up paying for it buddy. :thumbup: