Mk5 GTi Coolant is dissapearing!

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by Ian Mk5 GTi, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Ian Mk5 GTi New Member

I keep having to top up the coolant, but there are no visible signs of it leaking onto the floor under the engine. Can anyone help? It's needing a small top up every couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Ian

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Do the Mk5 petrol engines also suffer from porous heads like the diesels?

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

not really,
    rad issues like them all yes, with the FMIC it's harder to see but on a nice dry day after a drive you could see a damp patch on bottom corners of the rad (just behind the IC)

4. Ian Mk5 GTi New Member

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving along from cold and the car suddenly stank of fuel. It stalled, and would not re-start. To cut a long story short, when I'd had a new cambelt done about a month ago, the muppet forgot to push the clip back up the fuel line to clamp it to the nozzle on the engine. Fuel then leaked out all over the engine. Luckily, the engine was cold, so the fuel did not ignite.

Anyway, my point is, since this was rectified, the coolant level has not budged a single mm. Totally constant.

Funny eh?