Mk5 GTI looks nice but....

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Racing Teatray, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Racing Teatray Forum Member

........bl00dy hell it is expensive [:v:] . Way too expensive.

Have just been looking at www.newgolfgti.co.uk

It's 20k before you start on the options list. And what's with charging 1700 for leather?????

By the time it was specced to my liking it was 24k.

Suddenly all those A3s and 1-series are looking good value.

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

LMAO!! :lol:

Have you tried specing up an AudiA3 and a 1 Series up to the same spec as the Golf. I think you would be in for a shock!!!

The 1 Series 120i cost near 20000 before you start and comes with hardly any extras! You even have to pay 35 + VAT for a cup holder :p

Just for the record:

Audi A3 2.0FSI Sport (not turbo) = 19320 on the road!
    (Thats without any extras like leather, cruise, bigger alloys etc)

BMW 1 Series 120i Sport = 20,170 on the road!
    (again without any extras!)
    Edited by: Rob.gti

3. drew Forum Member

I must admit I struggle to get my head around paying more than 20k for a hatchback no matter how good it is. Some sort of psychological barrier I think.

Isn't the Honda Civic Type-R about 17k?

EDIT

OI! VW! Why can't you have the DSG gearbox in the 3-door? [:x]
    OI! VW! Why isn't their a 'green' in the colour line up?[:x]

Mine came to over 25k which is just silly. I could buy a new Audi A4 1.8T (190PS) quattro S-line for that and have some change, infact, with an extra grand I could have the 3.0 Quattro with 220PS.

You can get the Audi 3.2 Quattro Sport for under 25k OTR!

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

4. Racing Teatray Forum Member

Yes i have tried speccing a 2.0T Audi A3 and a 120d up (I'm thinking of getting a new car) and trust me there's not that much in it at the end.

Leather in the Audi is considerably cheaper, so are Xenons. What's that all about??

Plus an A3 or BMW 1 looks more like a 24k car. A Golf GTI looks like a 17k car to me, especially with that misguidedly retro tartan seat fabric which makes leather essential.

5. Rob.gti Forum Member

Personal opinion, but the 1 Series is bloody horrible! [:s]

Oh and remember both the A3 and BMW 1 Series do not have a 2.0 Turbo charged engine.

In a recent test, the Audi came last, the BMW and Golf were practically neck and neck, and the BMW pipped the Golf, but only just.

The Golf GTI is gonna be awesome. Money well spent IMO
    Edited by: Rob.gti

6. drew Forum Member

Agreed! Looks horrible. :thumbd:

RWD though. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

7. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

The mk5 GTI will be awesome once the tuning companys get there hands on them.

8. Ajit_mk2_16v Forum Member

I like the look of the new A3 3.2 Q, very nice ....

The mk5 is expensive and I think that will be the downfall of it.

Having said that the fleet companies will probably buy it by the shiploads....

9. Racing Teatray Forum Member

I disagree on the alleged price difference. I was looking at the 5dr versions with DSG and have configured the following:

Audi A3 2.0T Sportback DSG (200BHP) - 22,705 OTR

Golf 2.0 GTI 5dr with DSG (200BHP) - 21,895 OTR

BMW 120d 5dr (163BHP) - 20,700 or 22,080 as an Auto.

All are well equipped as standard with climate control and most of the important kit.

Then to add leather(1,060), 6CD, BOSE, Xenons, folding mirrors and fancy paint to the Audi would cost another 2,945

To add leather(1,645), 6CD, xenons, folding mirrors and fancy paint to the Golf costs 3,280.

To add leather (1,020), 6CD, Xenons, folding mirrors and fancy paint to the BMW costs 2,450.

Suddenly the Audi comes out at 25,650, the Golf at 25,175 and the BMW (as an auto but I'd have a manual) 24,530. Not a big difference and certainly not if you consider the extra practicality of the Audi or the RWD of the BMW.

Ok I'll admit the 120d Sport is not an exact spec rival for the GTI but the Audi and Golf share the same engine and chassis and there's not a lot in it on price.

So yes that's why I think the Golf is expensive.

10. drew Forum Member

Does the new A3 still have the old 'Mk4' trailing arm suspension or the 'Mk5' fully independant Ford Focus copy stuff?

Cheers,

Drew.

11. Racing Teatray Forum Member

I thought the new A3 was the first car to run the new Mk5 chassis (like last time round) and so yes I assume it does but I don't know that for a fact.

I'm sure (and hope!) the GTI will be a cracker to drive like the BMW whereas the Audi is merely good, but the Audi looks great and the BMW might be challenging-looking but I liked it in the metal when I sat in one at Goodwood and when you see it next to a Golf, suddenly it makes the Golf (and Audi) look very very humdrum and no amount of GTI trimmings can alter that.

12. Skunklook Forum Member

What's wrong with the 1 Series??? I think it looks much more unique than either of the others! LOVELY!

Design wise the audi and golf are just following form and like it's been said before, are all starting to look the same again. The one series is a step away from the norm and IMO looks like an up-to-date m coupe, and that can't be a bad thing!? IMO, anyone who questions the new BMW designs can't see the future of automotive design! I thought the 7 and 5 were ugly as sin when they were released but now you see the sports models coming through and they are amazing! Shame BMW are using too much recycled crap for their interiors though. [:s]

Price wise I think the 1 is a bit over the top but then it is BMW and not a VW. Drive wise I doubt either of the VAG efforts can compete with the 1 series. I've driven one and it rocks! And the 120d 1 series in manual will eat the diesel variants of the other two! and give the 200hp GTI a run for it's money as the torque should compensate for the slight difference in power.

When the two door 1-Series is released I'll be standing in line for the 2.0i or d and the only dub that would take me away is a mk4 R32 which is about the same money if not a bit cheaper.

once again, this is just my opinion, but then I like type 3 dubs, bay window campers, and other wierd old cars. :lol: But if wanted to throw a big cat amongst the pigeons I'd have to say the mk3 golf was one of the biggest design faux pars of recent time! The GTI stopped being a GTI at that point! ;) [:D]

13. drew Forum Member

I've got a cat like that too.[:D] :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

14. Andy665 Forum Member

Reckon most GTi's will be bought by the fleets, if it was my own money, I don't think I could stomach paying that kind of money for a Golf, RX-8 or 350Z's are that much more and the residuals of those are equally as good as the Golf
    Edited by: Andy665

15. Golfgirl Forum Member

Because there isn't ;) :lol:

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

i doubt it, the FSI is gunna be a mofo to get power out of.

The injectors are embedded into the head. So not just a simple swap for
    some large ones once you have maxed their duty cycle out. Rail pressure
    will already be around 100bar so i wouldnt wanna go adding 25% to that.
    Maybe use injectors from a higher spec car? Well even the RS6 only uses
    56bhp an injector so they are probably the same as the 2.0Ts ones. The
    injector spray patturn is critical on these new FSI engine so boreing them
    out is a no go.

The new ecu's are going to be massively more complex and difficult to
    tune. I will be very suprised to see any 300bhp MK5s in the shourterm.
    unless they have a conventional system retro fitted on.

my 2p (1p borrowed from another forum member)

17. cforehead Forum Member

I read a claimed standard 7.2 sec 0-62 time for the new GTI earlier. I'm struggling to beleive that myself.

Maybe I'm wrong but; it's only got 20bhp more than a mk4 Anni, and it weighs more. The Anni wasn't really that quick (i don't think).

Someone prove me wrong...

Fordham

18. Rob.gti Forum Member

The 1.8T 25th Anniversary GTI had a 0-62 in 7.9secs.

Its not BHP that gives us the great acceleration times, its Torque and the the new FSI 2.0T has bundles of it!!

Compare:

MK4 GTI 180bhp 1.8T = 180bhp @ 5500rpm & 235Nm (173lb/ft) torque @ 1950-5000rpm

MK5 GTI 200bhp FSI Turbo = 200bhp @ 5100rpm & 280Nm (205lb/ft) torque @ 1800-6000rpm