Mk5 Gti Pirelli Edition first thoughts on ownership

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by squibby, Aug 29, 2013.

1. squibby Forum Member

So I've had many a mk2 in the past, and a couple of hottish fords, 4x4's and several large luxo barges like my Alfa 166 3.2 V6 for example.

Had the golf for a couple of days now.

It's actually not very comfortable or stylish compared to my Alfa. It doesn't handle quite as good as my old focus ST170 or perhaps even some of the more 'well maintained' mk2 GTi's that I owned.

It's certainly the fasted by some margin though, but it does suffer a lot of turbo lag. Perhaps that's a result of the larger turbo S3 engine in the Pirelli edition.

The DSG box is kind of hit and miss too. It shudders too much coming to a stand. It's always in the wrong gear excentuating the turbo lag issue. So if I select sport just to hold the gears a little more it goes totally unusable unless I'm doing a lap of the 'ring or similar.

I can't do much about the comfort thing, and I think the turbo lag is primarily a result of the DSG myself. So can anything be done to tweak the software on the DSG?

By the way I think the golf is a super all round package but it could learn a thing or two from the ride and handling on some of fords recent sporty offerings. I'm sure Mk7 will set that right I hope. (by the way I tested a mk6 before getting the Pirelli)

(I want my mk2 back :()

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

My ed30 has very little lag, and that's the same engine.

Is yours running right? Check the diverter valve for splits. It's easy to do on these engines because it's at the top front once the engine cover is Off. Rev g is the latest and costs around 30quid. Also check the pcv, look on mk5 forum for a guide, they are only around 30quid if it needs changing.

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I recently got a nice mk5, I do think the steering is a bit dull at high speed my mk2 felt brilliant at speed

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Duff i'm sure you can change the setting of how the steering feels in vag-com on the mk5