Mk5 GTi

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by sparks03, Jun 9, 2014.

1. sparks03 Forum Member

Folks i'm after some advice

I'm on the trail of a mk5 GTi for a friend and am off to look at my first example tomorrow. He has a budget of 6k so looking at leggier models but they seem to be relatively bomb-proof from what I've found in my research. Anyone have experience of the model and any things to look out for?

Cheers

Mark

2. Stevepd Forum Member

Have a quick gander in the mk5 buying guide section, it's all up to date....:thumbup:

sparks03 likes this.
  3. sparks03 Forum Member

Would have been a good place to look! Cheers ears

4. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Most of the info you need is in the said guide, but the main things I looked for was the common corrosion on the front arches and on the sill where the front arch meets the sill... plus around the vw badge on the boot.

Fuel pump cam follower should be replaced every 50k miles. Cam belt at th same interval too. Way too many people overlook the cam follower. Risking an expensive fuel pump.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

6. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Duff - did you have to tempt fate! lol
    My aircon compressor gave up yesterday - kind of...

I had it serviced (regassed plus?) by VW in April. It has been a bit whiney and whirry recently... but was blowing enough cold air to keep my comfortable... until yesterday when the temp was up to 28 degrees outside... and an oven inside the car. The aircon made zero difference, even after running the car at 50-70mph for 30 mins. It seems to be doing 'just enough' this morning. But it is booked in with VW for the 26th to be diagnosed for free, but the repair will most probably cost. I'm not too fussed spending on the Ed30 though, as its a keeper :thumbup:

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

My ed30 is going back in for rust issues. Disappointing!
    They definitely don't build them like they used to.

8. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

ouch - where has the rust appeared?

VW sorted my off side front wing recently. I still need to get the tiny rust patch sorted on the inside edge of the rear boot badge recess.

9. sparks03 Forum Member

[​IMG]

Well come back with this little nugget. 88k on the clock and feels tight as a drum. Cam followers/belt changed at 60k, regular servicing of the DSG and managed 41mpg on the way back. Have to say i've been most impressed, tried my little bro's Mk4 1.8t and was never over-struck but this is something else. Mrs Sparks may have to go without an Xmas present this year...

Stevepd likes this.
  10. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

11. sparks03 Forum Member

Cheers matey I'm amazed by how well put together it is. And how well it drives for an auto. Kind of de-based two of my biggest prejudices which is that modern cars are too heavy and over complicated to be any good and that no auto is worth the price you pay.

Alas i'm not on Mk5, in a couple of days time I have to deliver this lovely to its rightful owner.

12. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Looks good! Are those Xenons?

13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

"but this is something else"

Yes thats my thoughts as well on the mk5 :-)

14. sparks03 Forum Member

Don't believe they are xenon but then i've yet to drive it in the dark so they could well be. VW hit the nail on the head when they built this beast.

15. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Defo - the balance between modern safety/equipment, yet maintained the spirit of the Golf GTI - everyday car, with some serious poke and nimbleness.

Xenons - as it looks like you have headlight washers in the bumper. Normally they come with Xenons - although I could be wrong :-)

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

i had the wings repaired by them last year and one of them has started rusting again.

i went back for that plus it's now rusting on the sill passenger side (where the production line clamps it). vw will do 50percent, better than nothing but it is there fault. the wings they now cover 100percent, which they sometimes didn't when i had it done.

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

sparks03, car looks great. looks like it's got the winter pack which has the headlight washers, then normal halogen headlights.:thumbup:

18. sparks03 Forum Member

Well my friend has had to delay coming to the UK for another week so its still with me [:D] Had a fantastic cruise in the sunshine this evening, it feels like my Mk2 in the way its happy to simply putter around. I am officially jealous of all you Mk5ers :tu:

Starting the cycle to work scheme the end of this month so I might (read get castrated by the mrs) be able to justify no longer having a diesel for the commute. Mk5 will definitely be on the list if I can get it passed the gaffer.

On the subject of corrosion the stories surprise me a little- VW in Barnstaple were fantastic with my little bro's Mk4 when the tailgate started to rot on the lip. Although this was several years ago they took it straight in and repaired the vehicle without quibble. Surprised to read that it isn't a commonality

19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

when i was in there asking about the mk5 rust, i asked if the newer models were the same. the reply was that they have had mk6 golfs in for the same wing rust problems and that it's shocking that vw haven't learnt from the mk4 & mk5.

i wonder how the mk7 will be in a few years time.

20. sparks03 Forum Member

Delivered to its rightful owner today. I'm going to miss the big lump

Have sated my need for more VAG with a T25 Panel van [:D]

[​IMG]

She who must be obeyed doesn't know yet though. If I don't surface next week you'll know i've been dealt with.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014