Mk5 problem with rotting front wings

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by bones65, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bones65 New Member

Unfortuntely i pranged my new love the other day reversed into some scaffolding numpty. So went to get a estimate and the panel beater is a VW nut. he told me that the wings on the MK 5 were prone to rot as behind them VW put some foam which absorbs the water. I have noticed that my wings have started to go. he said VW will replace the wings and remove the foam at a total cost of 500. has anyone else heard of this

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Yeah there is a problem with them. Go to your dealer, some are more helpful than others. Alot of people manage to get them changed for free. There is a heap of info on mk5golfgti forum.

3. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Yup - what Beetie said.
    Have a good read up on the stories VW will spin and the counter arguements you need to be armed with. Depending on the age and condition of the car/paint, VW have been known (even recently) to pay 100% for the repair. I had one done for free this summer.

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It can be a bit of a mine field getting it
    Some time you have to pay a small percentage of the cost of getting them replaced others you don't

The front of the sill can be bad as well

Dose it have full vw service history ?