Mk5 R32 into Mk4 Swap

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by cex464, Aug 13, 2009.

1. cex464 New Member

I've just bought a R32 2007 with DSG box, well I've bought the engine and box anyway! ... couldn't afford the rest of the car! Also have the wiring harness, ECU, and clocks.

Plan is to buy a Mk4 4-motion, and fit the R32 Engine and box in. No idea how simple this will be, but sure it can be done!

If anyone has on info on what will or what won't go, it would be very much appreciated. Would be easier to be told rather than to find out myself!

I am hoping the engine mounts will all be the same? But am expecting to have to change the whole engine loom over? But if anyone knows any different, please let me know.

Would also like to know if the Mk5 inlet & exhaust manifolds will fit in the MK4 or not!

Many thanks in advance for any info that may come my way!

Hope to be on the road soon!

2. kerrly Forum Member

your best bet is to have a chat with Storm developments as they have built mk5 R32 and a passat R36 engines into mk4s and if i remember correctly both donor cars were originally 4Motions.

dave

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

someone on here has done one of these already. do a search

4. micky1 Forum Member

was wondering if you could use the mk5 bottom end on the 4 mo head and save one hell of a lot of hassle/time/money etc?

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Mk 4 & Mk 5 R32 engines are the same bar bit of plastic on top cover, only difference in the ECU processor is quicker in latter
    I'd have to check old tech manuals to see if the variable track inlet is different, don't think so

being the Mk 5, you get all the other bits like central electrics? the security is little more advanced compared to a Mk 4, rest should all bolt in without any issues, air box and location of all the fuses under the bonnet also different

6. develeski Forum Member

my mate has just done one into a mk4 2wd. the mk4 electrics are easier plug and play mk4 to mk4. he has a immobiliser defeated r32 ecu mk4 for sale in parts on this site. so no need for transponders clocks etc etc... plug and play if you have mk4 engine wiring loom. unsure about using mk4 ecu+loom on a mk5 r32 lump

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

going from the TT motors I have seen, which i belive the mk5 setup is similar....

you'll need a mk4 fuel rail, use the auxilliary brakcet and stuff off the 4mp engine. leave the whole 4mo harness in the car, all you have to change is the connectors for the coil packs and one of the VVT solenoids. ecu will plug straight into the wiring and the cradle. just the immobiliser to sort.

use the 4mo headers and exhaust, mk5 are different i think (presuming they are the same as the tt).

you can use the 4mo flywheel, clutch and box on the 3.2 as well, but the ratios are slightly different to the r32, as as the shifter mech. it'll all hook up, but r32 is shorter thro

easy swap, could do it in a day.

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah?? How long to swap a 12v to 24v in a mk2?