mk5 r32 turbo advice

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by powernut, Apr 16, 2011.

1. powernut Forum Member

:phi all droped on a stock mk5 r32 issiuse is im reading alsorts of issiues with the mk5

this on is bub engine code , im told the cranks arnt forged yet the mk4 r32 is ,,as ive fitted arp head studs,compression spacer,and about to change the crank shaft for a mk4 one , but looking at them i carnt really see a lot of differnce[:$] any advise
    ive also added turbo injectors, made a quick intake manifold, as im tempted to fit inmy mk1 caddy ,but mines runing sweete with the 12v vr6 t tbh so as ive bought a cheep mk3 vr6 what is uradvise :thumbup:

2. oburT6RV Forum Member

How much boost are you thinking of running?

If you girdle the block for big boost, shouldn't be an issue imo. I would think the rods or OE cast pistons would let go before the crank does!

Why not drop an R32 head onto an early 2.8 24V and wind the wick up? It's a tank of a block like the 12V. I've read far too many stories of high boost R32 blocks flexing, which causes the rod bearings to spin. Not good.

3. powernut Forum Member

tbh im up boosting 30psi on a fully forged 2,8 vr6t and its nice,but ive had mk4 r32 with 2,8 block and had bearings spin at 20psi,same with 2.8 24v engines too , its like they flow well but dont like boost too high
    i still have some nice bent r32 conrods too ,[:$]from a mk4
    im told all mk5 r32 cranks arnt forged and break when attempting boost,, but i carnt see the differnece they look the same[:s]

so far ive added turbo bearings arp rod bolts, headspacer,modifyed a mk5 to mk4 fuel rail,made a intake , ,ive also noticed this crank has a spigit bearing fitted[:s]is this because its from a dsg motor?engine code bub

4. oburT6RV Forum Member

This link kind of implies R32s do have forged cranks, but doesn't state if it's MK5 or MK4. http://www.spturbo.com/onlinestore/...ngine-block-parts/vr6-crankshaft-12v-572.html

You generally only see cast cranks in cheaper, low output engines, but that kind of cost cutting from VW wouldn't surprise me tbh!

God knows how you manage 30psi. I find half that is borderline unusable!

What do you mean by 'turbo bearings'? Those coated RS4 rod shells?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

My thoughts exactly. [:s]

6. powernut Forum Member

7. oburT6RV Forum Member

I see, thanks for the info. I was aware VW had harmonised the 12 and 24V rod shells, but didn't know the materials had changed. Where can you get the original material shells from chap?

Ah, 4WD, nice! That certainly helps a bit [8D]

I've only ever seen bent rods on a turbo engine from a lack of header / exhaust flow. Do you monitor EGTs at all? It could be turbo sizing. 25psi from a Holset HX40 is going to have a lot more flow grunt behind it than 25psi of, say, a Garrett GT30/35. How big is your Holset's turbine housing? It could just be you've got an exhaust restriction somewhere. The exhaust has nowhere to go other than back into the cylinders, bending which ever rod is coming back up the bore for it's compression stroke? Dunno fella, just thinking aloud :)

Keep at it though. You've clearly got the skills and knowledge to eventually find the reason :thumbup:

8. powernut Forum Member

looking at the mk5 crank it dose have some rough grind marks at the side of the rod journal casting and marking are differnert from mk4 to mk5 as i can see the mk4 has blueheat treated , were themk5 dosent, regards bearing a lot us oem bearings and dont have issiuses ive tryed a fair amount some decent some totaly rubbish , if youve ever had a early 12vr6 obd1 old dizzy type engine with the soloid crank pulley and red dipstick with no engine bolt holes on the underside of tensionor ,as they were basied on a desial they have slighty wider bearings then the later 12vr6 obd2 24v 2.8 3.2 engines,there also lead copper bearings very hard wearing :thumbup:dealers ont seal these now only a later bearings, but i can still get these around 85 a set worth every penny never had a set go:thumbup:

regards holset i can tell you fitting a hx35/40 coldside with a t3 twinscroll 12cm im coming into boost at 2600rpm[:D] if i add the 14cm hotside its 3800rpm :thumbup: ,i but on the r32 ill be trying both :thumbup: very fast spool ive been pulling clean from 2600rpm to 7500rpm
    i wount but a gt35r due to cost off them bloody exspensive ,only takes a bearing to fail oil pressure drops and turbos scrap:lol:

9. oburT6RV Forum Member

Ha, my GT35R has done 60K miles mate with no appreciable wear at all. I can tell you, it's survived plenty of abuse, both accidental and deliberate. The 35R is an absolute tank of a turbo :)

Interesting info as ever mate! I'm in the middle of a 24V turbo build but I'm not sure I can be bothered with it now to be honest. The parts available are sheet quality. I suffered badly with cheap junk parts with my 12V turbo and I don't want to go through all that again.

Having seen the great work Bill Brockbank has done with 1.8Ts, that's the route I am now considering :)

10. powernut Forum Member

well i have that the mk5 r32 is a cheeper forged version,for the dsg model r32s(which i currantly have bub code , but still max boost on these is 15/18psi again not bad for a none forged crank, as i matched mk4/5 crank numbers up :thumbup:
    either way mk4 forged is instailed ,

regards turbo ,ive not managed to blow a holset , anything commercail must be built well,
    1.8t are lighter and very upgradeable but more exspensive, with a nice mix/match gearbox altering it can soon turn around ,

with this r32 i dont plan to go silly , more of good cruiseing rpms ,,

still you carnt knock the good vr6 lump:lol:

11. powernut Forum Member

i have found the lead copper bearing and a stock bearing and a glyco bearing if u really need pics ill dig them out ,and you,ll get the idea ..