Mk5 TDI 1.9 - 105 PS - BKC Turbo replacement job > Any manual or advice welcome

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by HPR, Nov 4, 2015.

1. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

I have a turbo that makes alot ZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise once a little trottle is applied and the car hardly moves anymore.... going in safe mode

To replace the turbo, i took a closer look from underneat and from the top.... with little view....
    So i have some questions
    Can the turbo taken off with the inlet manifold still in place ?

A workshop manual would be great to have ...or atleast some guiding that i know what to expect
    and without to disassemble to much stuff if not needed ...

Guess some onhere have done this before ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. blis Forum Member

We just lost the turbo and apparently high pressure fuel pump. 2K GBP.... grrr Red MK5 1.9TDI

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Thanks, mine is with a DPF fitted, it looked already no fun job to do.... and now im sure !

5. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

can you open and close the wastegate by hand?
    maybe just sticky

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^Think he has replaced then turbo since this was written and the car is now back on the road?

7. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Yes, its driving again, its not my favorite car job to do.... well tbh nothing on a roadcar.....my respect for those that work on them everyday !

Tbh this wasnt something i was keen to tackle.... but i started on it after GVK his post ( Btw Thanks again)
    Just before you can really start on it to get acces .....its needed to remove the central part of the subframe , RH driveshaft and downpipe....and from there its quite straightforward.... and i was all to happy that most of the bolts / nuts came loose easily ....otherwise its misery assured...

After the turbo was off, i could see on the exhaust side that 2 blades were missing....with much movement on the shaft

Once a new turbo was sourced and fitted back on , after a short testdrive initial the engine was not delivering as it should,
    I guess as the fault was still in the ECU, but after a couple more trips around the fault cleared itself .... Now its all back to normal and on full boost

GVK likes this.