Mk5 TDI to play with.... (long-ish)

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by stella, Aug 26, 2004.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

This morning was taking a trip down to Warwickshire with my son. Expecting the usual Shall we take the Focus? (more speed) or Shall we take the Golf? (more fun), he chucked me the keys and about two seconds later I was sitting (in my nightie!) inside a lovely Mk5 2.0 TDI Golf!

Ten minutes later (now showered and dressed) was heading south on the motorway.

Weird feeling nothing in first gear, then into second and the turbo kicks in. And how! Few moments later was warned that at over 100 I could lose my licence! So smooth and effortless, I hadnt even noticed. Brakes are brilliant, nearly ended up biting the wheel, theyre so much better than mine.

Off the motorway and down the back lanes, unfortunately caught up with slow moving traffic, so couldnt thrash it.

Through the day, got the feel of it a bit more. The steering is good, but strange after driving the Mk2. The power assistance kicks in more the slower you go. Took me two attempts to reverse into a space, cos Im used to the heavy steering on mine.

Coming back tonight, son driving this time. Took the twisties at 70, which I think Im doing well if I go through them at 60.

Had some fun with a 3 series Beemer, who chickened out on the bends. Overtook him, but could have done with a bit more top end to feel really comfortable.

Took a mini roundabout at speed and got the back end out (with TC on!) but not too scary.

Overall impressions:

Good plenty of poke, though it would take me a while to get used to a diesel and using all six gears. Floored it through the gears at one stage, and at about 4000 revs, it runs out of steam!

Looks great from outside I think its lower/stiffer than the lesser models. Inside, the dash is sad acres of plastic that looks as if they ran out of ideas. All the toys there, but somehow very uninspiring looking.

This was a four door.Both of us are tall, and with the seats well back, the B pillar is in the way. All pillars are quite thick, and with the headrests, rear view is a bit restricted.

Lots of nice touches loads of storage places, very comfortable seats, plenty of boot space and rear seat space, decent ICE.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Would I have one? Certainly wouldnt turn my nose up at it, but would have to learn to think diesel and the different driving style.

I didnt feel as in touch with the road or car as I do driving my Mk2, but then most modern cars are like that nowadays. I miss the growl of my Mk2 exhaust the Mk5 still sounds like a tractor.

Will have the petrol version to play with soon see how that compares. And the Leon Cupra, too.

I wish my employer would provide cars like these, instead of the poxy underpowered little Astras that live in the [:x] car pool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

is that particular astra high powered then?

Oh, sorry just noticed, its a golf :lol:

3. drew Forum Member

Doesn't look too bad from some of those angles. I think I'm slowly warming to it. Which is a typical reaction to Golf styling...

Cheers,

Drew.

4. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Good review......

was it the 130bhp??? If so i drove the audi a3 2.0 130bhp which has the same engine!!!!!!

Very good car and engine, but lacked poke at the top (as all diesels do :()

5. drew Forum Member

You should try my remapped Audi with 160 bhp and 260lbft. Goes all the up to and beyond 140mph measured by GPS... cough... apparently.

Cheers,

Drew.

6. GTi69 Forum Member

hmmm i recognise that place, is it facing the tennis centre on the road (i forgot the name of the road!) into Beeston? The university grounds? Or is it Trent Embankment?

[​IMG]

Mate has a MK5 2.0 fsi and it's just so boring to drive imo, very comfortable though.

Edited by: GTi69

7. Rallye Forum Junkie

Drew, NOT A BOY RACER :lol:

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

140bhp 2.0 TDI. There is no 130bhp version in the MK5 [:s]

9. Admin Guest

still looks like a 306 [:^(]

10. Rob.gti Forum Member

Designed by the same bloke, so you can see why.

Actulally when parked side by side, they are quite different.

new car styling is much of a muchness nowadays

11. Admin Guest

wouldn't say they don't look alike when parked up next to each other.

but i see your point, many cars look the same from the outside because of the safety rules. which is a shame that car manufacturers can't put some flare into cars to make them look nice, instead the different looking ones are ugly looking,

hence the guy drawing for pug didn't bust a gut for VW :lol:

12. drew Forum Member

I think the trouble is the shape is virtually the same due to aerodynamics and interior packaging having got about as good as they can get. Alongside all the crash protection. It's going to get worse with pedestrian safety now being a priority... no more long bonnets, infact the traditional bonnet may disappear over time and we'll just have big smart cars.

One you've got the basic shape all you can do is muck about with the design details like the lamps, grille and stuff. Hence the current obsession with 'corporate' looks (Vauxhalls 'V', Audi's huge grille etc)

Better 'cars', but damn... aint got no style, no sirree.

Cheers,

Drew.

13. superden Forum Addict

No. None at all [:^(] I`m sticking with my Mk2 :)

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Nice test drive report! :)

I've got a Mk5 TDI ordered as a hire car for my trip to Berlin & Wolfsburg in a few weeks, will let you know how I get on. It's the 77kw though which I think must be the 1.9TDI?

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

It's the Embankment, by the War Memorial. Some lucky shots there - the first day's sun in a very rainy week, and they'd closed it for something (cricket match parking?) so no-one else much around. Except some very curious - or hungry - Canada geese! And a strange Volvo flat bed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]