Mk5 TDI's - a good buy?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by jmsheahan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Hi all,

I'm looking at Mk5 Golf TDIs to replace my ageing 306 derv daily. I do around 80 miles a day to work and I have a feeling this winter will finish the pug off for good lol. Last year I asked a similar question regarding mk4's but never actually got around to buying anything. Prices of mk5's have dropped a lot and I'm wondering if its better to go for something a little newer...

I have a budget in my head of around 3-5k (finance unfortunately so the less I borrow the better) and I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up something reasonably tidy with around 80-100k on the clock. Newer cars are unknown territory for me, never spent more than 1200 quid on a motor!

The Mk5 buyers guide above is helpful but not too much info on TDI's. Searching online hasn't been particularly helpful with real world day to day living comments - I'm hoping ClubGTI will be able to help there :)

A few queries:

- The 140 model seems to be a better option (no DPF?) over the 170
    - Problems such as oil pumps, porous heads etc sound awful if google is anything to go by - truth in this or scaremongering?
    - Clutches - I imagine the same problems and costs associated with the mk4's transfer to mk5's (DMF = )
    - Turbos - This is probably my biggest concern. If the turbo goes pop how easy are they to change and what sort of mileage do they tend to go at?
    - Facelifts - What does 'GT' badge mean? Is it purely a trim level? I've seen early and late cars with the GTI style facelift.

So to summarise are the 2.0 TDI lumps any good? Its always a gamble with modern diesels and obviously there will be bills but I need to get something thats going to be pretty reliable for a few years. I really don't want to end up with huge bills on top of finance payments.

Any help appreciated :thumbup:

2. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've got the mk5 GT (4motion) 2.0 tdi 140bhp version. After having a string of mod'd petrol GTIs over the years, the mk5 diesel is outstanding, 50+ mpg, great torquey engine performance, handles amazing. Thoroughly recommend a mk5 2.0 tdi.

Look for the usual FSH history, well looked after, good quality regular oil servicing etc and they should be fine.

The GT model comes loaded with a stack of neat features as standard including auto light/home coming etc. top value for money IMO .

Late spec full factory leather model are very nice too.:thumbup:

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the reply Lhasa, sounding good.

I've been reading a lot about unpredictable turbos on the 140's failing at varying mileage intervals. Wondering if I should be budgeting for a turbo swap. Are there any major differences between a BKD code lump and a AZV?

Factory leather would be nice but with my budget I can't be too picky :thumbup:

4. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

5. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

I did nearly 253.000 km with a 2007 Golf V TDI 140,
    Apart of 2 turbo`s who each went after about 80 - 100.000 km and a DMF /Clutch /Gearbox that was changed after about 175.000 km, it kept going forever.
    Its a great car to drive, would recommend it

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I'm considering others, not even necessarily VAG. I've always liked the mk5 though, one of the few moderns I wouldn't actually mind owning lol