Mk6 1.6TDi or 1.4T? or Seat Ibiza?

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by barnz, Jun 23, 2010.

1. barnz New Member

Hi all,
    I'm planning my possible next car and wondering if you guys can help. I'm disabled so will hopefully get a car on the Motability scheme, I can only drive autos so looking at a DSG. I've had VR6s, Jetta, Golfs before so want to stay VAG.
    My choices are so far:
    Golf Mk6 1.6TDi Match
    Polo Mk6 (??) 1.4 - only 85bhp :-(
    Ibiza 1.6 DSG - no turbo :-(

Went into local dealer last weekend and drove a white Mk6 5dr 2.0TDi GT. I loved it - (felt very solid and well made like a new Golf should I guess and the pickup with the brilliant DSG was great) but..... I can't lafford the deposit.
    Now I'm looking at the 1.6TDi 105 but as he didn't have one, the nice man said "what about the 1.4TSi?" Almost as fast to 0-62 - 9.5 v 9.3 I think and still 47 mpg.
    Trouble is, I'm looking mainly at diesel for economy and at a 1.6TDi 105 too but can't get a DSG for love nor money to test. Mr Dealer said there's a 16 week waiting list once an order is put in, but someone also told me there were problems with the DSG availability right now? Anyone know of one I can test to compare it?
    Does that go for Seat too as I'm also looking at the Ibiza SC 1.6 - no deposit!!

If I went for a 1.6TDi or 1.4T what extra power could I get?
    Help would be appreciated,
    cheers Barney

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'm not sure on the DSG but I did read something about a limit on some of the TSI & 1.6 TDI engines as there better sellers!

I think (don't quote me) but both may also come with a 7 gear DGS + reverse!

Thing is your looking at TSI as good on the just @ 47 max, it's hard to drive it that gently! The 1.6TDI would prob do that around town!

If your looking for more power, with out fiddling too much a remap is the simplest but not advised as the software will be update within 2 year without question!

3. SimonG Forum Member

Go for the 1.6 TDI if you want the economy. Smooth engine, I like it but no ball of fire. Plus if it were a Match it would be a decent spec too.

4. volkswagen golf mk6 TDI New Member

go for the TDI i've had the new mk 6 2.0 TDI GT and the diesel engine in it is just a dream theres the economy when you want it and the power also for them moments when the mood takes you i dont think i'd go back to petrol after having the golf diesel its just so much fun and its not as if the engine sounds as tho its being stranggled its got a deep burble to it which sounds good but the economy side of it is the best part about it i got 70 mpg out of mine the other day going to work couldn't believe it. but anyway point is go for the diesel as you wont be dissapointed.

5. barnz New Member

Thanks all some useful info there.
    Gonna have a good scout round for a Golf TDi to test. I have seen a lot on the road lately, so was thinking SEAT were more unusual but the Golf was good to drive and as Simon says (sorry) a Match would be a good spec.
    Guess there would be more low down torque from a TDIi rather than 1.4T ??

6. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

My father in law has a 10 month old 1.4 TSi DSG and it's 120 ish bhp and 7 speed DSG. He had a new gearbox at 4,000 miles as the diff bearings went noisy but apart from that he's well pleased. Gets 56 mpg on run which is comparible with the TDi.

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I'd go for a SEAT Ibiza SC 1.6 TDI Sport personally. :thumbup: