Mk6 Golf R

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by azur, Jun 14, 2011.

1. craggsy Forum Member

Id prefer the RS3 after having a good look round one and the mk6 R that were at a rolling road day i went too

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yea i like your ed35 :thumbup:

I was looking at the S3's black edition, but the Mk6 R looks so much better! Think it will have to be my next car :)

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I went to look at an RS3 last week, well I went to the Audi garage. Nothing jumped out at me as nice looking. They are OK but wow what a boring showroom. It was just 3 lines of cars, all black. It was like a car supermarket. And this garage was only built last year!

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Using how many left

It says that there are 765 Golf R (manual & DSG combined) registered
    There are also 555 (manual & DSG combined) Scirocco R registered

Combine the Golf & Scirocco numbers and you get 1320 VW "R" vehicles,
    which looks a bit better than listing simply the manual Golf R number: 298

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You think? Call yourself an enthusiast. LOL

Completely different animals and not really a fair comparison. The RS3 is a 2.5 5 cylinder, Golf R uses the Edition 30/35 engine. And the RS3 only comes as a fugly 5 door.

Neither can be ordered brand new any more, although Audi have released a few more RS3 to the UK market due to the success.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, mine too. A nice low mileage example of a Golf R is definitely on the cards for me in a couple of years. Although i might try and hold out for a Mk7 Golf R which might get the RS3 lump.

7. Hurdy Forum Member

Well I'm at Curborough on Sunday in mine if you want to have a good look at one. Remap and intake only at the moment, but with more to come. Already does 0-60mph in 4.1 seconds and the ton in under 11 seconds.

Handles reasonably as stock, but after coming from a couple of fully modified cars with full upgrade suspension it is a tad wallowy for me. A set of ARB's will sort that out and the Haldex race controller and DSG map go on next week which should make it more responsive too.

Quick whoring pic (Yes I know it is a "more door"):)

[​IMG]

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

For reference (there is a lot of excitement about John getting his hands on another Golf) his thread on the Mk5 Golf GTI Forum was 16 pages before he had even picked the car up. lol

9. Richard Mk2

Looks like a few of us will be owning a Golf R soon then :thumbup:

What colour would you go for Luke ?

Would like to see what the Mk7 R will look like ?

Wish i was going this weekend. Would of been nice to have a look at yours. :thumbup:

5dr's look great imo. I might actually go for a 5dr one ?

Regarding the DSG, what are they like to drive compared to a normal manual ? Ive never driven one!

Is there any advantage with the DSG gearboxes ?

10. Richard Mk2

[video=youtube;lRwfvnDt7BA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA[/video]

Interesting comparison here :thumbup:

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

DSG is awesome Rich. However, if you will be looking at 2-3 year old cars when the time to buy comes around, i would personall go for a manual to avoid mechatronic issues and reliability/cost in the future. No doubt, DSG is simply awesome. John has achieved 4.1s 0-60 times in his with just a remap and intake.

12. Richard Mk2

Cheers Luke, 4.1s sound great :)

So its the reliability of the DSG with is a disadvantage then ?

What actually goes on them then ? I do like the feel of a manual, and would probably go for this, but would like to try out a DSG'd VW just to see what its like.

What do you think of that video above ?

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The DSG is great. Ive had 3x cars with DSG now. Buying new, it would be DSG every time.

Only a small percentage of DSG cars really have major problems. Plenty of people out there with 100k+ cars with no issues at all. However, mechatronics failure out of warranty would cost thousands alone.

I cant view the video at work. Is it the one comparing acceleration of a manual vs dsg Golf R?

14. Richard Mk2

Thats the worrie i'd have. I might just stick with a good old manual. Will have to try out a DSG equipped car soon though.

:thumbup: