Mk6 GT TDI excessive road noise? Dissappointed

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by mexicorich, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mexicorich Forum Member

So I have updated to a Mk6 GT TDI 140
    Delightfull in many ways but road noise at motorways speeds is trully awful to the point that I think I will have to sell it again :-(
    Michelin at the front, Pirelli at the rear.
    Is anyone else finding this?
    I have modified lots of cars in the past but never with the aim of making them significantly quieter.
    Anyone made any improvment?
    Contemplating some narrower 16s instead of the standard 225/45 x 17 but am not very confident of finding much improvment?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hmm strange. Burni has just got one of these and it's as quiet as a mouse. Same as my MK6 GTI, something wrong there!

3. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

I take it you mean tyre noise? I find on rough sections of motorway the noise level does increase ( so in the state of British roads that's a lot lol )

I don't find it unbearable tho I must admit. As I said above on certain sections of the m4 it can be noisey but on the smoother parts it's as quiet as a mouse. I alterd my tyre pressures when I first picked the car up 38 rear and 36 front I think I run. I do a lot of motorway miles in mine the reason I bought it.

Just out of intrest how are you finding the new cr desiel engine?
    I find it picks up well on motorway for overtaking very well and very quiet for a desiel.

4. EZ does it Forum Member

Have a look on the inner edge of the rear tyres, they can wear unevenly which creates a lumpy surface which will increase road noise.

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

^^ good point, I have seen quite a few Pirellis do this.

Not as bad as the Avon ZZ1 I had on a mk2 once, which sounded like tractor tyres on any surface. [:x]

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

common on the mk5 with the wrong tyres on

7. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

I have ZV3's on my misses Mk5, the road noise at certain speeds can be truley terrible!

However they grip really well in the wet! - And arn't half bad in the dry either!

8. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

On my mk6 at the mo there are Dunlop sport maxx on the front and Goodyear effiencygrip on the rear.

Were on the car when I bought it I will do a little reading when it comes to replacing them to find what's best. Not herd good things about pirellis myself.

Gaz recommended some Bridgestone rain sports to me at last meet

9. mexicorich Forum Member

CR engine is impressive, quiet and smooth and impressive economy. Bought the car on the south coast and drove it home to the North East. Set cruise at 80mph and it did 62mpg. It was doing even bettervthan that until the weather got cold and started to rain.
    Problem was that by the time I got it home, 300 miles of road noise has me hating the car

10. mexicorich Forum Member

So which are the wrong tyres and which are the right ones to improve it? Help!

11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I know mine are alright. Goodyear eagle asymmetric 2.

plenty of people use Michelin ps3, and continental sportcontact .

have a search On mk5golfgti.co.uk for more info

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

13. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

Only had one experience of Pirelli tyres and it is safe to say that I won't ever use them again. Bought my A3 with Pirelli P-zeros on all round and ended up taking them off with approx 4mm tread on.

Fitted some Continental Sportcontact 3's and never looked back. I'm thinking of trying some Michelin PS3's next, they seem to get rave reviews on the net so got to be worth a punt.

14. CA121 Forum Member

Could be the front bearings on their way out. My girlfriend has had both done on her 2.0 TDI only 55k.