Mk6 HID/Xenon upgrade

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by Member, May 14, 2012.

1. Member New Member

My Mk6 GTD came with all the toys that i wanted - except Xenons!!

Lookin to upgrade the standard bulbs as i think this will be the easiest and cheapest way of getting the xenon look, but.................... its a minefield. Ebay has loads of bulbs and kits listed but none look ideal to me.

Its mainly the sidelights that i want to change as these are effectivly the DRLs on a Mk6 and so are on all of the time. Im not after boy racer blue or anything, just a nicer looking clear/white light as the standard light is a bit dull and old fashioned looking.

Ive taken out the bulbs in question but they arent standard looking and so im not sure what to buy or where to buy it.

Any ideas?

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

The mk5/6 has bulb monitoring so only a HID kit with a resister for these things - dodge kits that quote Can-Bus it's not related and random works thrown in!!

I'd go with a kit thats around the 5000/6000K which looks OEM white rather than blue
    another factor it will be implemented very soon on MoT's that head light washers are a must, also leveling sensors/system should present if testable
    when it's in the MoT it will be also enforceable on the road

Ebeg normally your best/cheapest option for reference

3. Member New Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Ebay seems to have a lot of options but im not sure that any of the kits on there are correct.

I'll keep looking for a kit to be listed by one of the respected specalists.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Dont bother retrofitting xenons unless you have winter pack with headlight washers. And as Crispy said, if you do it, do it properly with the proper oem light units, and self levelling sensors that will also need installing. Its an expensive retrofit. Something i plan to do to my Polo one day as i have winter pack on it.

Lots of boyracers are going to get caught out once the MOT stations start enforcing the MOT rules more strictly on xenons.

5. GTD

GTD New Member

I don't have the xenons on my GTD and hate the DRLs on the MK6. Cheapest solution was to just switch them off. Really prefer the look without the lights on.

6. Member New Member

Yep, I agree. Switched mine off now and managed to get some good quality osram bulbs for the main headlights that look and work much better than standard.

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

good to hear!!

worth knowing the testing of the self level system on the head lights is not very forciable but descression of the tester due to unable to test the system (changing weight on chassis requirment!)