MkII PB 8V Gearbox oil Leak

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by quattro, Mar 5, 2004.

1. quattro Forum Member

Hi All
    I have got a gearbox oil leak on my car. It appears to be comming from one of the drive shaft output seals. The car has done 130,000 miles. Is this common and is it a case of just replacing the seals or should I be looking in a different area for the cause of the seal to fail ? ie diff bearings or something ! Apart from this the gearbox is fine - no noise or grating gears. if it is just the seals are there any tips on changing them or things I should look out for?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Sounds like the flange seal is leaking, quite common for high mileage.
    You will need to remove the driveshaft, or tie it up out of the way, remove the flange, then you will be able to get to the seal.

3. VIIIV Forum Member

You'll need a puller to remove the flange as well. Get a flywheel puller from Halfords which works a treat.

When you fit the new seal, try and position the seal's lips so that it runs on an unworn part of the flange's shaft.
    Edited by: VIIIV

4. Lee-GTi Forum Member

9 out of 10 it's going to be the diff bearings which allow movment of the flange which then damage the seals!! ;)

5. quattro Forum Member

Thanks for all your replies.

Lee - you mentioned it could be caused by wear in the diff bearings is there a tolerance for movement of the flanges ie. if I grab one and try and move it up and down ! what sort of movement should I expect if any ?

Kind regards

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Not always. Very often it can be a broken brass thrust washer just inside the flange.

But if you replace the flange with a new washer and it still wobbles then yup, may be bearings.

7. LEGGIE New Member

there should be no up and down movment at all

If when you drive along and you start hearing a clonking noise, a bit like a c.v joint has gone, then the diff bearings are about to make an exit through the front casing taking the clutch and flywheel with it.

8. Lee-GTi Forum Member

9. quattro Forum Member

Thanks for all your replies.
    I will get some seals and anything alse that needs replacing and get under the car and have a look. Apart from the leak there is no noise and the box appears fine - lets hope its just the seals.
    Kind regards