MKIV 150PD GT TDI Buying

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Jammy_GTI, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Jammy_GTI New Member

Hey guys!

I'm revisiting the forum after a couple of years of (sadly) non-VW motoring.

I'm returning because I have my heart set on a MK4 TDI, and i'm going to look at a 150 PD soon.

is there anything (potentially expensive) to look out for, and what sort of price range is good for a 110k miler, 2002 plate?

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Camtrain wear is the main issue with these engines.... mainly due to lack of regular oil changes or the wrong grade of oil used.

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Even with regular changes with the right PD I'd still be double checking. I found out it's expensive to put right!

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Turbo fault is also common, they over boost causing the car to go in limp home mode, not a cheap job to replace! still a nice car though but i've found the higher powered diesels seem less reliable than say the 110 bhp models just because of the higher boost levels stressing other components