modifying the mk5 gti

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Matt G, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Matt G Forum Member

not that i can afford one yet (maybe in a couple of years!) but i like to learn new stuff so thought i would start reading up on the mk5. The better half used to have the 1.9 tdi(great for a run around) until she decided to trade it.

anyhow reading a bit here and there has just raised a few questions.

turbo's: i know it uses different turbo's to mk4's but how easy is it to swap for the better spec turbo's used in ed30's or the audi rs3?

how does the high pressure fuel pump help performance, is it a standalone modification or is it something to get done with a remap?

does the car have an front mount or side mount intercooler? (ive seen somewhere an advert for a double fmic, but i thought it would be a side mount one as standard!)

apart from the things covered in the buying guide on here and the usual arb/suspension/brake upgrades, are there any other simple tricks to be done to improve handling/performance.

cheers in advance.:thumbup:

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

You would need some pipes that lead to the turbo to change it, but other than that I think it is a straight swap.

The high pressure pump will increase and help maintain pressure for more power, you would need it mapping iI to run correctly.

The Gti has a front mount intercooler, the one you describe might be the forge twin intercooler which adds to the standard fit one. Or just upgrade to the s3 one. Ed30 has the same one as the standard gti.

One of the better handling mods is the anti lift kit. Search for walk. Although the better kit is the superpro one, Salk

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I got one for a track car / ring toy with all the mods done , but i know the previous owner well and helped with some of the mods
    and getting ready for a remap again on mine at MRC once the right man comes over

High pressure fuel pump , this is for bigger injectors or remaps , but ask the person doing the remap , seems to be various answers , but needed once you fit RS4 injectors or equivalent , as the RS4 ones people seems to have a few issues with , i am yet to know if they are a problem on mine and if a different type would work better . Not sure why they work ok in a RS4

Intercooler , most people sell a intercooler that works along side the factory front mounted intercooler , so the car has 2 intercoolers
    Hence one company came up with the name twintercooler , needs trim parts removing near the fog lights and you can get good quality hoses that are made up for this.

I think with intercoolers you get what you pay for in my experience , on some testing recently we saw intake temps go down whilst on full boost while looking at another issues , GRS IC , i have use them on my other cars as well

Yes rear roll bar only and anti lift kit is a good combination

Once you start upgrading the front brakes the back end starts wandering around , which is a bit scary TBH only had this one so far at silly speeds and braking force , R32 rear brakes help here

To get the steering nice, wishbones bushes need doing to upgraded items , if its low miles the steering may be fine already , but i have found on this platform over about 70k various parts start to get a bit loose in feel and hence need upgrading

Turbo swaps , not sure TBH never done a KO4 on the TFSI but i have done/helped on GT28 and that was a right pain to fit , its a right fiddle to work on and lack of space means take the front end off makes sense, took us 3 days , also fitted the new pump and new injectors

the Golf R once remapped makes near 300/320 bhp and a GT28 is 340 upwards , but the torque figure is greater on the GT28 , but i expect the 300 figure from the K04 is a smoother power delivery and less "all hell breaks loose" GT28 power delivery

Mate of mine who mapped a Golf R came out in mine a couple of days later so was able to give a good comparison

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I should be messing around a TT-S in the next coming weeks pending a good definition file as I already have the read.

Aside from the DI functions, you really need to adjust the same parameters as you would in a 1.8T to wake these up ( 'warm' tune).
    Obviously if you are going to increase airflow significantly by means of a turbo change then you will have to update the injectors and HPFP and prepare the appropriate calibration to take care of that change.

K04 versions of turbos on these are still spikey low down if pushed all out, which should not be necessary if the boost control is calibrated properly
    On 'regular 200ps GTIs' max torque of ~208 lbft is from 1800-4700 rpm. On Ed30, TT-S, S3 and Golf R with larger KKK turbos, the max torque ranges ~ 227-260lbft and stays flat via boost control from 2500-5200rpm.

Lots to learn with these engines, but out the box they are quite interesting.

5. Matt G Forum Member

Cheers for the response.

What does the anti lift kit do, having had a quick search of ebay, seems to adjust the suspension geo a bit..? (correct if wrong).

Is there an equivalent for the uprated turbo intake pipe (e.g the badger 5 version for the 1.8t k04)? is there any restrictions like this that could be resolved to aid performance?

Also with the cam/turbo from the ed30/audi's.....i'm assuming the cams go straight in, but is it both intake and outlet that are needed, or just one of them?

cheers

6. Matt G Forum Member

also on the arb front, why just the rear? is the factoy arb up to the job anyway?

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Matt, you are a bad man lol

I've just read this thread and gone straight to e-bay looking at mk5's lol there's a nice high miler near me for less than 4000 :0

8. Matt G Forum Member

Ha ha exactly, and r32's are getting cheaper too. Me and the better half have a bit of debt still to get rid of so I'll be soon shopping for a cheap run around to last me a couple of years by which time we'll be able afford something more spirited! I'm looking at mk5 gti's or r32's so at them I'm just starting to gain some knowledge now.

R32's sound THE sex, but without super/turbo charging I'm not certain how far you could take them (for a road car that is, it would get Lpg'd and used as a daily). so it'll probably be a gti for me but improved a little. That is of course unless mk6's come down in price anytime soon!!!!

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mk4 turbos are about 1000 and would make a good runaround.

10. Matt G Forum Member

Nah, thinking really cheap runaround like polo or something equally dull! :-D

It willmake me appreciate torque when I get something more fun in time!

11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I think all mk5 r32's are over 400 quid a year tax. Just something to remember

12. Matt G Forum Member

Tax is cheaper on lpg if fitted correctly. How much cheaper I have nee idea!!!

13. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

early mk5 r32's fall into the cheap road tax
    if you can aford the fuel the road tax will not be a problem lol

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I thought that was the mk4 where the change happened.

15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

no mk5 r32 registered before 23 March 2006 pay the old road tax

16. Matt G Forum Member

Another question. Flywheels. A mate had his dual mass fly fall apart on him taking out the clutch and starter, which makes wonder if it's best to swap for smf. Is it possible? Do they exist in another car? Is it even wise to swap?

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

You can get smf kits. Southend, helix, sachs or loba

18. gillm

gillm ***** User

I had a helix smf kit on my old mk5 very good bit of kit

19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Was it noisy? Some say smf kits are.

20. gillm

gillm ***** User

Yeh but it's a trade off . Only at idle tho