More MK4 GT TDi problems.... tricky one for ya!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Paul_TDi, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Well as most of you may know my car went into hospital with suspected head gasket trauma!

But unfortunately 5 days before the garage finally took it in I crashed it so the body shop next door have had it first to get the repairs done but my garage has had someone from VW to look at my car and had a word with about it.

It's had heater matrix, water pump and stat changed to try and solve major water loss and over heating problem. Everyone said it was the head gasket including a VW dealer ( this was my dad calling them over the phone though, who doesnt know the extent of my dirving habits).

But anyways, this guy that called into my cars garage from VW reakon it's something to do with fuel injectors I think they said. I had a call from them today explaing VW had had a looked and didn't think it was the head gasket but my special s****y fuel injectors which apparently aren't on many cars and only VW dealers have the tools to fix or summit.

I forget exactly what they said now but he said that these injectors that my car has weren't installed on that many cars.

2. Seraph Banned

The injectors are unique and also very expensive to replace

But what are your symptoms? Are you trying to link this to the overheating prob?

3. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Oh joy, my favourite, expensive parts!

Symtoms are, loss of water on every journey, soon as accerate hard or go over 100 water temp rises very quickly, reaching the red 130 celcuis a few times.

Soon after high temps the computer flashes on STOP- Check coolant, at which time the water tank has dumped all the water via the over flows.

I'm not sure really I thought it was head gasket until this VW guy has said different, he said it's very unusual for the head gasket to go and suggested it was these fuel injectors that need tuning or replacing instead.

So as soon as i get my car back from body shop I'll be taking it to my VW dealer.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

what engine is in it, have you changed the injectors?

I've not come across many tdi's when the head gaskets gone, but it's not impossible, does the engine fan kick in??

5. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Sorry dont know the engine code off hand but it's the 1.9 115ps 6 spd model. Nah the injectors haven't been changed.

Yep fans kick in fine.

6. Seraph Banned

'Most' likely to be AJM then.

7. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I think I have some of the paper work for it at home so I can check that on Monday if it's written on any of that at all.

8. Seraph Banned

You'll find it: on the boot sticker, inside the service book and on the cambelt cover.

Absolutely certain theres no small leak on a hose?

9. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Apparently not, the garage that has it now pressure tested it 1 of the first times they had it after doing the water pump.

10. HEARDY Forum Member

Sounds like Headgasket to me.
    We had one in at work (same engine 115 PD) and it sounds like exactly the same Symptoms.This one would only overheat AND empty the header tank when driven at speed,usually on the motorway.
    It had had the usual waterpump,thermostat,radaitor but no different.
    It had done about 120k miles.
    I.m just about to do the headgasket on my my missus Bora (1.9 tdi 115bhp PD engine) same Symptoms emptys header tank etc.
    How do they work out it's the injectors thats at fault ? How are they going to make it use water? Sounds like a load of bull**** to me

11. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Did I mention the cars a german import?

But anyways I dont have a clue about running of engines really so I'm dont really know how or if it can be linked ot the water loss.

Plan is once i get my car back from crash repairs is to go to VW and see what they say/said.

But yh mines same, okis orund town etcbut 0ver 70 on motorways and dual darriage it will soon drain down and empty.

12. kingyvw New Member

some of those diesel engines suffer from the egr coolers leaking, very common on mk5 and passat, but ive only experienced on the 130tdi and 140bhp,

13. Seraph Banned

Whats that then[:s] - never heard of an EGR cooler!?

Or are you using different terminology?

Can't see it being EGR linked either way personally

14. kingyvw New Member

15. Seraph Banned

Nope, still none the wiser!

Damn yanks, why can't they speak English!

Can only assume they simply mean EGR valve!?

16. kingyvw New Member

need a reg or chassis or engine code to determine, some of the us sites have alot more info than over here, or make it easier to get and find!

for instants the measure value blocks,

17. kingyvw New Member

18. Paul_TDi Forum Member

reg is OV51 HKH, dont know any of the other details off hand.

Thanks.

19. Seraph Banned

Right, got it now (I think)

This EGR cooler is only on the certain cars - which is why I didn't recognise it.

Thus Pauls car (115) will not have one that I can see

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  20. HEARDY Forum Member

The way we found out where the water was going on the customers car at work was to pull the plastic pipe that runs down the side of the header tank off and connect some pipe on to it instead, and then run the pipe from there to the outside of the car so you can see the end of the pipe.( i know it sounds a bit croude but it proves a point as to where its losing the water).
    Take the car for a good run and i'm sure it will start spewing water out of the pipe.
    I'll let you know if mine is cured, i should have it back together by next week.
    Jason