MOT disaster

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by love_the_dub, Jul 1, 2010.

1. love_the_dub Forum Member

Hey Peeps,

I AM GUTTED,

I've spent the last 18 months putting this together after swapping a PS3 for it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was it total bits when i got it and with massive help from you guys its done and ready!!

i'm not a prolific poster because most of my queries have been asked and answered a hundred times over.. i've pretty much replaced everything now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MOT was due today and this morning disaster strikes, the head light loom goes up taking the fuse board out with it [:^(][:^(][:^(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get a loom and switch from the scrappys but cant get an fuse box until tuesday[8(] so i've put the MOT back until monday week!!

I'm so gutted i just wanna drive it now!!

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Best try to investigate why the loom has fried.

Two things that come to my mind are:

- Did you happen to fit another headlight switch? It's quite well-known that there are different versions of the MK2 headlight switch and fried wiring can result if you use the wrong one. Check that the new switch you got from the scrapyard is right for your car.

- Check the condition of the wiring to the dim-dip resistor in the engine bay, as with age these can short against the chassis.

That latter tip about the dim-dip resistor is something I saw suggested by Rubjonny and no doubt he may see this and have some other ideas.

How much are you paying for the replacement fusebox you're getting? Normally these are easy to find in scrapyards. I'd have to compare part numbers to be sure but you may find that one out of a Golf MK3 will be suitable. Possibly exactly the same part number. I've got a Golf MK3 fusebox in the garage and I could get the number off it shortly if you want.

Cheers

Trev

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

then make up a headlight relay loom to remove the load of that switch

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah check the dimdip, even if it looks ok follow the wiring back from it to the 2 pin plug, disconnect and bin it. its sat on the chassis leg just below the driver side headlight, size n shape of a packet o polos

pretty much every VAG car with hazard switch on top of the column has the right fusebox for you, mk3 golf, passat and corrado to name just 3. several seat models have the same fusebox as well. polos have to watch out for though they generally have summat random fitted

is it wrong of me hoping you found terminal rust and were gonna scrap it so i could pillage all your panels :lol:

edit: oh, and i see you broke the lock peg off that plug, and I can see the locking tab on fusebox is set to the 'locked' position. just fyi, the long bar down the middle of all the plugs locks the back end of the connectors in place, if you look round the back of the fusebox there is an arm which you pull outwards to release the locks so the plugs can come out without ripping off the locking peg ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Car looks very tidy. It'll be worth it when it's done!!

I've got a CE1 fusebox spare, but it looks like yours is a CE2 car (hazard switch on the column) unless it's had big bumpers retro-fitted.

6. rubjonny

yeah tis a CE2 fusebox, can tell from zee piccies

7. muppet9966 Forum Member

What about the main supply to the headlight swtich, this isnt usually fused and can short out to the bracing in the dash.

8. love_the_dub Forum Member

cheers fella's

I bought a replacement CE2 fuse box for 12 quid, I'm definitely going to do the relay mod, especially as I've got over a week to mince about with it!!

as to what caused it I've read on here its a common fault but cant find any reason why it would of happened i assumed it was the potentiometer on the switch but will certainly check the other things out because don't want it happening again!!

Just realised too VAGFEST was going be the first show I attended with the car [:s] but MOT not til day after:( I'll have to Hijack the missus' Punto (my day just gets worse lol)

9. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

i too fried a light loom and switch(twice) and it turned out to be the light switch live was touching the screw which holds the dash surround in, it was the wrong screw but a small camera inside showed the bottom of the switch comes very close to the screw and main shell.
    looks like a cracking car so well worth the hassle and patience, oh and the ps3!

10. love_the_dub Forum Member

arrrrrrrrrr thats why i couldnt get the new loom in [:$] oily bits, everyday!! but electrics, i'm on a massive learning curve!! cheers for the advice fella

11. allan-mac New Member

Your not useing 100w bulbs are you ? they can burn the loom out.

12. love_the_dub Forum Member

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap::clap::clap:

PASSED MOT today!! No advisories!!!

GET IN!!!

Sadly I've never driven a mk2 Golf before so I don't know the characteristics of the car but feels good!!

cant wait to enjoy it now its passed!!!

13. rubjonny

great news :thumbup: