MOT failure help - someone explain the parts I need?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Dec 20, 2009.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Got these but can someone explain clearly the parts that I need to replace (so I replace what I need!) Tester guy wasn't massively helpful as they knew I put the mk2 in for an MOT to get a 'wish list' of things to fix.

Below are the failures i'm interested in:

"Front suspension arm rubber bush bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement"

I was looking to replace the wishbone front and rear bush, but also the ball joint whilst i'm at it.

[​IMG]

"Rear Shock absorber has an excessively worn rubber bush"

Anyone give me the exact bush that I need? :lol: Can only think of the rear top mounts, but want to check if i've got the right idea or if they mean a different 'bush' altogether?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. nealey Forum Junkie

I would look into the price of just replacing the whole front lower arm instead of the bushes unless you are considering going poly bushes

As for the rear shock bush at a guess i would say it means the bush at the base of the shock where its mounted in the axle, you may be able to get these seperately or you may end up needing to replace the shock

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers - Dammmm right i'm buying the whole lower arm with the bushes installed already - not going through the ball ache of fitting normal ones! :lol:

I thought too it would be the rear bush at the base of the shock - but its on coilovers so thats why I was a bit puzzled if I'm leaft with needing a new coil over?! Didn't think the top mounts of the shock looked that bad, but will check the car once I get it up.

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

is yours 5 stud?

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Nope - 4 stud on standard gti rear beam.

Need to get the car on the jacks to have a real lock as the coilovers aren't massively old, so would be suprised to thing if its the actual lower shock bush.