MS issues pre engine firing for the first time!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by adam_bmx, May 14, 2014.

1. adam_bmx Forum Member

Hi chaps,

please excuse if this has been discussed before, ive been searching elsewhere online and having a brain overload!

The cars a mk2 16vg60 and hasnt been fired yet. The ECU is from Toyotec and in all honesty its been a long time since it was purchased as other comittments have halted the cars progress. I believe its a MS2 v2? unit.

Ive built a loom and hooked everything up for the first time, first and hopefully simple one, with ignition on the 3 LEDs on the front of the ECU dont light up (should they?) and one flickers under cranking.

Next, the cars running a hall and tci unit to control ignition and im not getting a signal to the hall sensor. Is this a seperate fault or one that coincides with the ECU not sending a signal. As a result the injectors also arent recieving a signal but put this down to it not having a firing order from lack of ignition?

pin 26 (will double check) grey wire +5v ref to the hall and TPS have a conflicting signal. Using a test light when looking for a +ve signal it shows one, and checking for an earth at that pin it also lights the test light. is this normal, an earth problem or am i being daft?

im sure theres more ill find along the way but any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. The cars been a long build and im eager and excited to get it running soon :-)

thanks Adam

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sounds like the ECU is a MS1 ver 3 pcb.
    If the LED next to the DB9 is flickering then if sounds to me you are getting a crank signal.
    Do you have a log file?

3. adam_bmx Forum Member

Thanks for clearing that up toyotec. I haven't done any logging yet so will make that the next priority.

4. adam_bmx Forum Member

Got an hour in on the car tonight, didn't get any logging done but looked further into the issues ive got.

Right...... the led on the right of the ecu flickers under cranking so assume as toyo said theres a crank signal there, I checked the king lead with the earthing a screwdriver method and it sparks however im not getting a spark at the plug leads. Cap and arm are new. I tried a second hand cap and arm and still nothing

when checking all this the coil would start buzzing and king lead would arc. At one point it gave me a right whack and was sparking quite fiercely when it landed on the gearbox. All I had was ignition on and it wasnt being cranked.