msDroid - Android application for MegaSquirt

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Trev16v, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Version 0.1a2 is now available. Again this is a fairly limited and very buggy alpha build that represents a snapshot of current development. It is available here.

2. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

just a quick update for u the old and newer version both still lock with a samsumg galixy s2 on android 4.0.3

3. Trev16v

Thanks mate. I'll look into that. Can you tell me exactly where in the app this occurs?

I now have a phone with Android 4 / ICS (HTC One X) and so far I have seen that the log viewer crashes, but otherwise it seems to behave on this phone. Is it the log viewer that crashes for you?

When I get a chance I'll bundle ACRA along with the app which will allow people to easily send me crash reports containing a stack trace, etc. so I can see where it b0rked.

Edit: Thinking about it, I have actually tested the app on a Galaxy SII and it was okay.

Really appreciate your feedback greatly! :)

4. bigbenbird Forum Member

Got a 'Parse' error when I tried to open it.

Using a Sony Erricsson Xperia Arc using Android 2.3.2

Ben

5. Trev16v

OK, thanks Ben. I've seen that parse error personally before, and it is tricky to solve because there seems to be various possible reasons for it. I'll see if I can produce some alternative builds for you to try, if you don't mind.

6. Trev16v

When you use the app on the 4.0.3 (ICS) device, how do you find the movement of the gauges when you press and hold on them to move them around, compared to on the Galaxy S2?

I seem to have an issue with the drag and drop being crap and jerky on ICS / Android 4. I have this problem on my new HTC One X (4.0.3).

7. Joe C New Member

Ah!

I havent checked this for a while and I see theres progress!:thumbup:

Ive just loaded the latest sample to my sony Xpira X10i, it seems to do as expected although Ive not tried to connect to an ECU yet,

it crashes if I try to open the tuning part but that was expected, the logging seems to function, I can add/change/ remove data series's, don't seem to be able to delete logs though.

I'm finding the pinch function for changing gauge sizes a bit of a pain to use, it seems to work backwards is there a knack/ trick to this? if its not just me i can see this being an issue on smaller phones as mine has a pretty big screen.

Ive got one of those bluetooth adaptors that Efi Analitics sell as Ive been enjoying their shaddowlogger, I'll fire this up via that when I get a chance.

8. Trev16v

Hi Joe,

Glad it has worked for you so far - many thanks for trying out the latest build!

Regarding the gauge resizing, the method to resize is to just use one finger on the little 'hotspot' on the bottom-right of the gauge once the gauge is selected (highlighted and grid is visible). Then you drag the bottom right around to resize it, using one finger. Is that how you were trying it, or were you using two fingers, i.e. pinch zoom? What I could do is also add the ability to resize the gauges using pinch too if you'd prefer. What I'm hoping to achieve is a really slick way of moving, adding and resizing gauges without having to go through various menu structures, if that makes sense.

Would you prefer pinch to resize the gauges?

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!

9. Joe C New Member

Ah, yeah I was pinching to resize,

the one finger thing works a treat, no need to change that, although it could do with a bit more time out before the move/resize/grid disapears

10. Trev16v

Ah, that's cool. I have implemented the option to pinch resize the gauges now anyway, and as it happens I also already increased the grid timeout.

Now fixed the issues specific to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) so will try to get a new build out soon.

11. Mix_belarus New Member

This Message is Moderated
    Hello, Trev.
    I from Belarus.
    Esteemed about your msdroid program, very much it was pleasant.
    Would like it to try in work as I have Megasquirt. But there is a problem, at me Android 2.1, and test realese aren't started. How to me to arrive?
    Yours faithfully, Mikhail.

12. Trev16v

13. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

ive checked the new up for my galixy s2 and it still locks when trying the tuning section, drag and drop work fine,

14. Trev16v

Ooh, someone in the US posted a video on the 'Tube. :)

[YOUTUBE]5n97exYHbqY[/YOUTUBE]

15. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Oh now this is really really cool!! Excellent work Trev!!:thumbup:

This has actually given me the final thumbs up to use MS v3 on my VR-Turbo when I get round to it... The only thing im missing is road speed, maybe oil presure, and oil temp(can you feed this into MS??) and I'll just replace my clocks with my tablet!!

16. Trev16v

Bump...

I'll get the latest release onto Google Play by the end of the week so that users can get regular automatic updates. Still working furiously hard on it.

17. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Intalled on a HTC sensation just fine, had a freak as it wasn't on the play store - all works fine I can move the dials around etc

Brillant work Trev, pity I've never got around to going the MS route yet

18. Trev16v

Nice one! That's well cool that you tried it. To be honest the latest build I put online is ancient now and it's come a long way. I've held off putting it on Google Play for a long time because I want it really polished before I do.

I got a Google (Asus) Nexus 7 tablet the other day with Android 4.1. Absolutely stunning device and great for this kind of app.

19. HarryConti New Member

Very cool application:thumb: Very interesting for all Megasquirt users. I plan to use a Megasquirt for my Triumph TR6 and installed your app on a HTC Desire. Would be very interested what bluetooth interface could be used as i'm not familiar with this stuff.
    A friend of mine is running a Megasquirt 1 und a Megasquirt 2 on his TR6 V8 and his TR6 and it would be nice to try out your app on his cars. Can you help with suitable bluetooth interfaces?

We are very excited about your work as it would be brilliant to use a smartphone instead of a laptop.:clap:

20. HarryConti New Member

Installed on a HTC Desire. Really cool stuff and brilliant work.:clap: Don't own a GTI but want to use megasquirt on a Triumph TR6. A friend of mine has a TR6 with a V8 and a TR6 , both on megasquirt.
    We are very excited to use the smartphone instead of a laptop but i'm not familiar with bluetooth rs232 interface and hope you can help. Where can i get a usable interface? Saw some stuff on Ebay but i'm unsure if it is usable.
    Keep on with your stunning work. Many megasquirt users would be pleased to use your app.

Harald