My Golf MK2 16VT on the Nurburgring.

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by Nige, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

As some of you know, I was back to the ring with the Golf for the first time in a couple of years on Destination Nurburgring trackday last week. As I won`t take the risks of driving on TF anymore, it means I now only go once a year for a couple of days. First time I`ve driven the Golf there in a couple of year, also the first time with the Turbo... It was certainly interesting. VMax of 147 after the SX crest, 131 up Kesselchen.....:thumbup:

A couple of photos from the event. The usual top quality photos from Jochen@Frozenspeed ![​IMG]

Taking a bit of kerb at Wipperman [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ex Muhle
    [​IMG]

Good panning shot
    [​IMG]

Kallenhard
    [​IMG]

And finally, the obligatory Karussel pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dale from www.bridgetogantry.com, who lives at the ring and races in the VLN was driving a supercharged Atom. He posted the video...
    YouTube Link
    [video=youtube;nA8Hr7XhlSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8Hr7XhlSM[/video]

I was following, here is the Footage from the Golf. I`ve never been able to keep up with a well driven Supercharged Atom before, never mind pass one [8D]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04bw4FZDWE
    [video=youtube;c04bw4FZDWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04bw4FZDWE[/video]

I had another lap following a 993RS Porsche which both I and the Porsche driver enjoyed and had a good chat about afterwards :thumbup:
    http://youtu.be/KHTuNpCWAz0
    [video=youtube;KHTuNpCWAz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTuNpCWAz0[/video]
    Porsche passes down the foxhole and I try and keep up for the rest of the lap.

What a cracking few days [:D]

I`ll update my build thread later, but I`ve had a couple of people asking for details of my trip, hence this post :)

gasco, jamesa, Toyotec and 10 others like this.
  2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You've got to be chuffed with the pace of both yourself and the car now! :thumbup:

3. Nige

Chuffed doesn`t really sum up how happy I was after DN10. I was grinning like you wouldn`t believe lol

I turned the boost down, it only peaked at 0.7 Bar, I was after reliability. I didn`t even get a clear lap, but to be honest, it was about having fun and not chasing times anyway, so it doesn`t matter.

I have data and have a pretty good idea of what the laptime could be on a clear track and that`s enough for me. !

The ring is about knowledge, we all know that, but this wasn`t just passing cars with that advantage. Dale races in the VLN and lives in the area, but the Golf was still quicker than a 300HP Atom round there ! Dale was just as surprised as me lol

I`ve never had so much attention from strangers in the carpark asking me about the car :)

sparrow likes this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

In the garden digging but can't wait to read when I get in the bath lol

5. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome videos mate :thumbup:

6. Sirguydo

Totally awesome maybe one day I'll get my car there but not sure how or when :cry: need to get it on the track hear first [:s]

Brilliant vids great Nige thanks for the show :thumbup:

7. Prawn Forum Member

Absolutely fantastic stuff Nige! I've watched them all and it's just amazing.

vmax of 147 at SX - was that AFTER the crest? That must be close to getting some air at that speed!

I have issues with that crest, a little unfinished business perhaps lol but that was pre aero. I bet yours felt solid as a rock!

Now, just another 0.3 bar and the GT3 boys will REALLY have something to worry about! lol

Nige likes this.
  8. Nige

Almost ZERO air. My passenger at the time (Andy) said he expected much more of a jump at Flugplatz and SX crest, but the Golf just settled really quickly. I was flat over the SX crest, with no drama at all [:D]

You can see from the boost traces, we turned the boost DOWN for this trip. Peaked at about 0.7Bar and slightly lower everywhere. That was intentional. This trip was not about chasing times, but reliability. On track, at 5,500rpm, it was 8.4psi (0.58Bar). On the dyno, it was running 10.7psi (0.74Bar).

I still had the boost controller working, just not as much as before. Even knowing that, I still achieved those numbers, who knows what it will be like if I turn it up to 0.7 or 0.8Bar next time... [}:)]

9. Sirguydo

It's becoming a real MONESTER Porsche killer [:D]

Think the driver knows what he's doing as welllol

10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

131 up Kesselchen , yeah thats a good sign !!!

I have migrated to a faster car and have now found i needed to almost relearn parts of it all over again as for example Kesselchen the roads almost feels thinner when you doing up it 30mph quicker than before and you need to brake on the left hander and i clipped the grass a couple of times ( not good )

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Nige likes this.
  11. blis Forum Member

Nice work carving up the Nurburgring, car looked awesome... Loved it!!!

What's the coolest thing about a Mk2...? Nige drives one!:)

Nige likes this.
  12. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Got to love the noise of the supercharger on the Arial Atom - how addictive is that?

Your car looks bloody quick around there Nige!

Nige likes this.
  13. Nige

blis likes this.
  14. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Epic stuff Nige, its really gone next level now!! How are the brakes coping with all the extra squirt on tap?

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That Golf of yours is certainly becoming a force to reckon at any track! It was already quick as a NASP, with you peddling it and now...lol
    Fantastic effort and I enjoyed that :clap:.

Nige likes this.
  16. Nige

Not bad. Cooling them is the problem. I`m looking into better solutions. :thumbup:

Yeah, I`m really satisfied with how it is going. As you know, I always wanted to sort the handling THEN add power. On this trip, I dropped the boost to around 8.5psi max, just to be safe and it was still far quicker than before :)