My mate’s BMW E36: Roof problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Trev16v, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

My mate has got a BMW E36 convertible which has developed a problem with the electric roof. Can anyone suggest a good BMW forum to post this query? In the meantime I thought it was worth mentioning it here as well as I know some of you must know your BMWs. Unfortunately I haven't a clue!

According to my mate, the roof used to work absolutely fine until a 'clip' of some description 'fell off'. This clip fell away from the motor mechanism in the boot. When he attempted to re-fit it, the various roof mechanisms appeared to work out of sync (with some nasty consequences for the fabric [xx(]). He then removed the fuse(s) associated with the control electronics for the roof - presumably in an attempt to reset it or something daft. On replacing the fuses, he found that the roof electrics were completely lifeless.

He showed me a bit of paper that somebody printed off from some BMW technical CD-ROM. It said something about the roof control module requiring re-programming with a code should it ever be replaced. Now, what I am wondering is this: Is it possible that if the fuse blows or is removed, does the ECU register a fault code and shut down the motors completely to avoid damage in the event of a motor going faulty...? And therefore the dealer has to re-enable it following repair..? Could be talking crap here, just trying to put two and two together.

Besides that, any ideas on where we can look for some service information to tell us how to set up and synchronise the motors and various mechanics?

I guess it might have been less of a headache if he hadn't messed around with it so much... :lol:

Any pointers would be much appreciated - I'd like to help this guy out if I can.

Cheers

Trev

2. Oplaii Forum Member

3. Joe M Forum Member