My MK5 GTI experience....

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Rob.gti, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Rob.gti Forum Member

Well that was fun!!!

Turned up at the dealers and saw the GTI being washed ready for my test drive. I strolled in to meet the sale rep, he then did the paperwork, handed me the keys and said "see you in an hour or so" [8D]

So what can I tell you that hasnt been said already.... not a lot. Its truely awesome.

Exitted the dealers and stalled it [:$] But once I got the feel for the clutch and the extremely responsive brakes, I was off. Heading towards Evesham along the A46 and then around my favourite test track around Ragley Hall. The R32 loved that route and dare I say it, the GTI excelled there too. And if I am honest with myself, the GTI was a far better driving pleasure than the R32.

Power is on tap all the time, in any gear. Very simialr to the TDI. However, there is very little turbo lag. Simply plant your foot in any gear and the engine pulls like a train and doesnt give up! Revs hit the redline effortlessly.

Handling was good, but i didnt push it due to very greasy roads, will hopefully give it more when I get the car for the day. The ride is a million times better than my R32, it firm but extremely comfortable and soaks up undulations with no drama or nasty bangs.

All in all the car feels light and extremely quick. I would say that it is easily as fast as the R32, yet is more comfortable and more economical. I did however notice that in the conditions I drove the car, the front wheels did struggle to put the power down and the traction control light blinked like a christmas tree lights! But once underway, the power just kept on coming. Crusing along the A46 dual carriageway, I reach 120mph in no time at all and didnt even realise! :p

The seats are also fantastic. Holding you in position and supporting well while driving. And I love the chequeed cloth - well smart

I will do a full report after the 24 hour test drive next year, but if i still owned the R32, it would become a deposit for a GTI without question! [8)]

Here are some pics of the car, which is in Silver, for a change:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

Forgot to mention, the 168bhp TDI version will be out late next year [:D]

3. Dub Dave Forum Member

Your startimng to convince me now!!! NO!!!!! Must stay with Mk2...(just got a quote at drivethedeal, 1100 off!)

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Hmmm - Is it subtle enough though?

5. Rob.gti Forum Member

In silver yes. Although i took a trip through Stratford town centre at the end of the test drive and lots of peeps were looking and pointing :p
    Edited by: Rob.gti

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

It does look nice in silver.
    Possible car for the very near future, once I hav a garage sorted.

7. sixpot Forum Member

Are those the optional 18" alloys or the standard ones?

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

They are the standard 17".

Most demos will have those fitted as there is a "production problem" with the 18" ones

9. sixpot Forum Member

Quite nice-look easy enough to clean.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive got nearly enough money in the bank for one!!!! [:D]

Shame its all being used to pay off my debts after my remortgage!!! [:s] [xx(] :lol:

11. sixpot Forum Member

sod your debts,just get more into debt and buy it! [:s]

12. gti8v Forum Member

ha-ha feel for ya mate......just done the same [:s]
    but have 'freeded' up 500-600 a month :lol: