My new Gti

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Brian.G, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i'd like a 'powered by rubjonny' abf inlet please :lol:
    or maybe rubertekwerke

2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Custom rockers with members names on them is something I wont be doing, this ones for me only Im afraid:thumbup:

As for CGTi rockers, same as above, plus you have the whole CGTi copy right deal that cant be ignored.

Unless The club wants just one for the wall of the CGti offices then its not going to happen:thumbup:

Sorry to be a bit morbid on this one, but its a personal thing that I just want to do for my own stuff,

Peace out:lol:

BG

Ps, Johnny, did you only realise Ive got ocd just now??:lol:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Had a spare hr after dinner got another bit done....

Got working on My name plate, cut it from acrylic, too much short grain would exist with timber, and it would break, plastic is fine, and better,

[​IMG]

Glued down,

[​IMG]

Cutting,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have to cut out the bits from two letters, e and a, filing with rifflers,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can start on top design layout now, its going to be pretty simple, but 'nice'..

[​IMG]

More later, with a few descriptions on a few things,

BG

4. danster Forum Addict

Looking well scene!! :o But how long till the ED38 masif need mahogany cam covers?

Had you considered this style of logo for the top?

"BG 8v FTW"

5. m1keh Forum Member

You not taking the centres out of the a or the e brian?

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Yup sure am, and have done, had trouble finding my small bits for a blade pilot, found them though[:$]:thumbup:

Dan, wash out your mouth for using the Sce** word in my build thread, that must be 30 day ban material right there:thumbup::o

I was thinking there if I were to hit it with 3 coats of yacht varnish it might be ok as is, what do you reckon Dan??:lol:

BG

7. danster Forum Addict

I reckon if you put a pic of the wooden pattern piece up on ED38 it would go down a storm. We all know you are a casting demon on here. But they would not know the context of the piece and think it is the new scene thang. :lol:

Of course new wood is no use, like them making their cars rusty, you will need to age it by throwing some woodworm at it to induce patina.

Listen the scene word is mild, I have actual VAUXHALL PICS on the first page of my build thread. [:^(]

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I might try that Dan, and just say nothing:lol:

Did a bit more,

The ribs and stuff mainly, I cheated on the oil cap lock too, I couldnt find a bit of Mah large enough to turn one from, so it would mean glueing two pieces, too slow for me, so I cut out the old one, and jigged the draft angles on it a touch to suit me,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also re doing breather a bit to give me a few options, all will be clear later,

[​IMG]

Taking orders for dolls house windows too:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BG

9. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Fitting edges and stuff,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End fill ins,

[​IMG]

I made a slight change the fly end in order to make the flange strip a bit narrower. I moved out the end cap 3mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting end strip,

[​IMG]

Filling all angles for a smoother part,

[​IMG]

Started on the ribs too, Im filling the sharp 90 degree corner, to a smooth radius. I had to stop here as my little fillet tool, an 8mm ball bearing on a piece of wire broke, Its fixed again now though,

[​IMG]

Slowly does it,

[​IMG]

Few more bits and its ready to plan the gates and risers. Hope to pour this evening,

BG

10. danster Forum Addict

Epic work BG. :thumbup:

Lovely to see the time and effort behind what is going to be a very bespoke piece.
    I can't wait for the finished product to be revealed.

11. prof Forum Addict

do you need any bosses to potentially bolt supports for inlets/fiters etc?

12. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ahhhh yessss(little Britain) Theyre on now Prof:thumbup::lol:

Thanks Dan, Its something Ive dreamed about for a while, seeing my name on there. Ghey as it sounds and all.
    Although its not really a vital part its an important one. Goodbye to leaking rubber Isv breather. And goodbye to the deformed tin rocker cover too. Previous owner(s) fitted collared studs in some places and non collared in others, tightening it all down twisting cover to bits[:s]
    Its also a part that I just cant picture holding In my hand once cooled, I could picture all the others, but this one is just different, Maybe because its a rocker, or because my name is on there, I just dont know, I hope I dont get emotional when I see it for the first time:lol:[:$]

Pictures of engine that will be coming out very soon, its clearly ****ed in every possible way. Spot the oil everywhere, and the 6'' crack across the rear of block. And the alternator bracket setup, nice isnt it? Some people should stay well away from these machines.
    I think the only thing thats not leaking or broke is the coolant flange on the end[:*:]:lol:

Its clearly a Vw too looking at the rocker cover, thank god for that, I must mention that I have failed to blow this engine which is a shame as its actually good under all that, It just wont give out, but the block crack renders it useless sadly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My camera has started taking just close-up shots only of late, I suspect there is a grain of sand stuck in the bendix mechanism for lens retraction as I can hear grating in there when I turn it on, If you can get over the pictures, Ill leave it as is for the time being, as Im sure it would take me a while to put right(take apart and tiny bits fly everywhere)

BG

13. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Nearly there now....this set of pictures is a bit mixed up in order, but you'll get the idea. I chose to grain fill and flatten as many flat surfaces as I could before sticking on other bits to save trying to flatten around them. I use BIN as the grain filler, and grey primer as my de-nib guide coat,

Flattening ribs,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brought it in as you can see above to dry fully overnight. Ive just a few very small bits to add, along with my name, then a full prime, inspection, and she'll be ready for the hot stuff,

BG

14. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

[eek]Looking good Brian, can't wait to see it finished:clap:

15. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Either can I!

Got pulled away from this so pattern is only finished now:thumbup:

The final stages, filling in around font, and priming inside and out, I hit it with some black I had because as we know black shows up all blemishes quite easy, any blemishes that may need touching up, or attention,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything looks ok both Inside and out, so no further work needed.

Ive decided on a runner/gating system for it, Im going to fill with two fan gates into the rear lip. That, along with other things should ensure a good fill.

More later!

BG

Edit, the paint Im going with on this, is grey metallic, Ill be waterpapering the ribs and font so that stays brushed/polish finish.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  16. m1keh Forum Member

Looks good enough to run as is Brian. No need for casting :p.

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just what I was thinking! :lol:

Top work as ever, Brian. :clap:

18. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Environmentally friendly too:lol:

Just got 20 blue silkcut there, going casting this SOB now:thumbup:

BG

19. theboymike Forum Junkie

Epic engineering skillz :clap:

20. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

So I got the mould boxes altered/made. Also got the gate pattern made and the riser patterns.
    Saw a very small blemish around the font under 400watt light so I flattened it back a bit and gave it another black topcoat. Looks 100% now which I cant seem to settle for less.
    Im thinking of leaving it overnight now to let coat harden fully, for fear it will pick up any sand.

The wait continues.

Theboymike, I dont know if this is about skills, more just having patience, theres nothing hard about it really, and if you do it really slow, you see any possible mistakes happening right before your eyes. Thats my reckoning on anything like this anyway:thumbup: Anythings possible I feel.

BG