my S/S Jetex Exhaust review for a golf mk2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by David Number 2, Sep 4, 2006.

1. So, it was time to change my exhaust system on my car, the other started blowing abit so started looking at the alternatives. I want a full stainless system that would last, have a good fit and have the right tone, not to over the top. And for around the 300 mark. After abit of research on here, and after having a listen on a friends car, I decided to go with the Jetex.

Looking around on the internet, it soon became apparent most places did them for 295. I ended up going to www.europerformance.com, helpful guy there, gave me free delivery.

It showed up the next day. Gave it a check over, no damage, all the bits there, no problem.

The system comprises of the 3 main sections (centre silencer, mid silencer and backbox) 4 D-rings, a joint to allow attachment to the downpipe, and a new bracket for the rear.

Fitting

Then it was time to get it fitted. As I hadnt any experience with fitting exhausts, i took it to my local garage to get it fitted.

So, first thing to do, get it on the lift.

[​IMG]

Afew last pictures of the old system before its taken off;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THen the old system had to be disconnected. The rings came off pretty easily, and it just slid of basically, no problems

[​IMG]

Ok, so the first part to go on, the joint from the downpipe. It slid on no problem. The mechanic used sealent paste as he went by the way, which isnt shown in the pictures.

[​IMG]

So once that was one, the centre silencer could be slid on, followed by the mid silencer. It was temporarily held in place with the jack. He then could attach the rubbers to the sections to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

The middle silencer was followed by, thats right u guessed it, the backbox

[​IMG]

So its all on, D-rings arnt on yet and afew rubbers arnt hooked on. I held it up to where it should sit, and me having lack of sleep that day, began to worry! forgot there was a new bracket for the rubber to hook onto, and as the picture shows, it would make it dangle down! I said to myself, theres gona be some metal bending soon.

[​IMG]

After a good 20seconds of staring, the mechanic began unscrewing the old bracket. Then it came back to me [:D] phew..........Hooked on and sat perfectly.

[​IMG]

He then attached all the D-rings, gave everything a good tighten and checked the exhaust over. I popped the covers off, and grinned.

[​IMG]

Afterwards, I started it whilst on the ramp and the mechanic gave it a check over. I did take a video of it, but it doenst do it justice, plus there was an aircompressor in the background that turned on which drowned the sound out anyway. grr. The car was then lowered down, and I thought it looked great..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, job done. I had to take it easy for a while to allow the paste to dry. The exhaust fitted straight on, had no problems apart from a slightly seized bolt on the end hook (which was the anyway not the exhaust). And it sat right, looked smart.

How it looks

The most important thing is that it sat in the right position, and there were no problems getting it there.

The tips itself were polished, not to big, and in my opinion looked great.

[​IMG]

Sound

Ive found the sound of it is close enough to what I was after. Sitting at idle, its not that much different to the standard exhaust, just abit more bass in it, very slightly louder. It doesnt sound like Run DMC playing out of a sub in the boot.

Give it a rev of the engine, and you get a nice bassy tone, but which isnt to loud or cheap sounding.

(its just become apparent to me its kind of hard to describe the sound without videos!)

So driving normally in the cruise, say 45 odd, 4th gear, you get an constant bass tone, which was abit of a novelty at first. I did find in a way it was abit of a pain to get used to, especially when you were in a quiet mood and wanted silence. But this would be expected with most systems, and you get used to it soon enough.

When you put your foot down, this is definatly where you notice a different to the standard system. However, its not one you can hear from the otherside of your village. Not over the top, but definatly gives abit of a roar.

Ill get some videos up as soon as possible......and some more pictures.

Power gain?

As for power gains, its hard to say. I admit, afew times ive been accelerating it felt abit smoother and maybe a tad quicker, but its hard to tell if its just phycologial. So it would have to be RR'd to see if there was an increase (although saying that i didnt have it RR'd in the first place...) So if there are any gains, there minimal. It doesnt feel slower anyway...

Conclusion

I found it was easy to fit as far as exhausts go (although I didnt do it myself, was straightforward for the mech, and I could do it myself if i wanted to now) there were no issues with it getting to fit right. It looks great, the sounds it quite subtle, but can be heard when you put your foot down. Definatly pleased with it.

feel free to ask any questions

hope this is helpful if your deciding to get a new one!

Dave

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. Bundles Forum Junkie

4 Silencers!!! holy crap!

Did you notice any difference in power or torque?

3. good point, will add that aswell...give me afew mins lol

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Always best to take the car for a drive, put it back on the ramps and then check to see if anything needs readjusting. Exhausts tend to move about a bit after their initial fitment. You may find that it blows after a while and needs sorting out again.

Apart from that, good little write up. Had a nice Jetex on my Highline, however it was a pig to fit as it was bought 2nd hand.

5. The front box on a 16v isnt a silencer i dont think its just got the joint of the two front/down pipes inside it.

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

looks good mate.

the tailpipe design has changed slightly since mine though. mine is not a slach cut.

7. pRot3us Forum Junkie

lazy bast :thumbd:

good choice of exhaust though :thumbup:

8. Bundles Forum Junkie

Ahhh. Looks like a silencer, honest [:$]

How do you rate threads on this forum? this deserves a few stars imo.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  9. nickvw Forum Member

8V downpipe is the same but without the 'silencer' :lol:

Nice exhausts those Jettex, got one on my jetta ;)

10. nealey Forum Junkie

is there any difference in the bore size of the exhaust or is it the same diameter as the standard 16v one?

11. suttonval Forum Member

Atleast the guys at that cheapo car wash did a good job [:D]

[​IMG]

12. Bundles Forum Junkie

There also seems to be something tangled in your downpipey silencer thingy in that pic! :lol:

13. nickvw Forum Member

Yes, but what you can do is cut a piece off the 16V downpipe and use it as a sleeve on the 8V one. Job done :p

14. ha!

some of its scratches though :p [:$]