My Wiring Looms Build! 24v R32 Mk3 / Mk1 V6 Content

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Vento Mike, May 22, 2009.

1. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

That mk1 looks really really neat!
    Ive got one of them bluepoint terminal tools, first time i used the longest tube on it just folded inside itself lol.

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Not just mine then!!

I think I'm going to buy the proper set from blue point:thumbup:

3. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

They aint cheep, lazer tools do a nice kit that is good quality, comes in a hard plastic box too.

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Nice work there mate - great finishing touches on the looms.

5. vwharr1s New Member

hey dude them looms are very tidy im a sparky myself and must say that they look very neat and tidy i hate messy wiring... was just wondering were you got the sleaving for the cables to cos i m after some use to use it as an aprentice when building pannels but never really took any notice of where the stores got it fron cherrs dude keep up the good work thanks vw harr1s...

6. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

nice work ! :thumbup:

i always find the looms the most difficult part of any conversion, very good if you know someone who can build them :thumbup:

7. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Cheers mate, hopefully one day it will be a benefit to me on one of my own cars!

Thanks mate,

I bought this stuff from http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/

It's a bit plasticy so I'm looking around at the moment for something with a bit more fabric content possibly, my friend who works for Rolls Royce aircraft suggested the stuff that they use contains kevlar...would probably put the loom way way over budget just in sleaving! Unfortunately the finished ends are already looking a bit tatty on one of the looms I did so next time I will use a heat shrink with a glue to seal the ends of the cable protection as it's turned out quite easy to pull out[8(]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  8. vwharr1s New Member

cheers dude thats just the ticket thanks very mucho...
    cheers vw harr1s

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

This is exactly what I`ll be adding when I make the loom for my Megasquirt conversion :thumbup:

[​IMG]

I want to be able to just unplug one large connector and be able to remove the engine (OK, the Earth and starter are extra ;) ) Loom through bulkhead, to multiplug, then multiplug > engine sensors. injectors etc. You found a weatherproof one too ! Where did you get it please?

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Nice work mate.

Mad how you can do all the pin removals with that tool though lol... I think there absolutely crap:lol:

Tona don't do a bad kit and it was about 20. Literally the same as the blue point kit, but half the price.

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

something like this

[​IMG]

273-5382 0-48 way chassis mount socket,13A/30A
    273-5360 48/0 way metal ring cable plug,13A
    468-541 Neptune signal pin contact,13A,16-18awg
    468-557 Neptune signal skt contact,13A,16-18awg

www.rswww.com

Now, if you go for a bulkhead connector in a different configuration, as some in the ITT Cannon Neptune range for example offer a combination of Signal pins (as above) and Power pins, you'll also need to order the larger 'power' pins in male and female to suit.

eg

And the smaller backshells are 273-5562

12. Nige

So I need one of 273-5382, one off 273-5360 and enough pins / sockets (ie 5 packs of each ?)

13. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Thats what i'll be doing on my Corrado when I make a start on the wiring for that. In about a year I expect! Would like all the bulk head fittings to be removable where possible. I'll go for lighter gague cable aswell for the signal/sensors.

14. Admin Guest

[​IMG]

Simular to what i used, nice and quick multi connector makes life easier.

15. Nige

What about the shielded wires, any issues when using a plug like that ?

The appeal of being able to undo 1 big plug and leave all the sensors / injectors etc connected to my engine when removing it really appeals :thumbup:

16. Admin Guest

I used a sheilded wire on both sides of the plug and then joined the sheild through one of the connections on the plug.

[​IMG]

The yellow wire is soldered to the sheilded wire and passes through the connector. The sheilded wire is the black wire with the electrical tape on it. Works fine so far.

17. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

No reason why you couldn't connect the drain wire on a seperate pin close tithe signal wires which is like above, you tend not to get any problems until you run wires close to any ht or inductive device like the coil or a motor anyway.

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

Those looms are crazy! My mk2 wiring looks like spaghetti!

Top job there and wish I could have the skill and ability to put wiring together like that and make it work! :)

19. Joes Forum Member

mk1 R32

that mk1 R32 you did what engine managment did you use on that as im doing a mk1 4 wheel drive r32 engine but have not thought bout wiringor managment
    thanks joe

20. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Was on DTA S80 mate