Mystery 020 Gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RabbitShagger, Jul 17, 2023.

1. RabbitShagger New Member

Hello to all fellow vag heeds. I have purchased a rebuilt gearbox which was supposed to be a MK2 GTi 8v pd gearbox but the problem is the code on the bottom of the box I have never heard of and wasn't even aware this code existed on any 020 or does it? it has a small shaft and 100mm cups.. not that matters knowing it's mated to a PB before and gear box code is stamped 6W05044, so I guess that means it's a 6W box and parallel above not so neatly stamped 8255 and the last 5 looks like a 1 stamped underneath the 5. I would greatly appreciate if someone could shed some higher knowledge my way :)

https://imgur.com/a/jaoaJri

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Would the 05044 part refer to the date and help narrow down your search?

On my MK1 it's 9A box code is followed by a 5 digit number to show the date of manufacture.

If it is that, yours would have been made 5th April, but the year will depend on what the production span of whatever a 6W turns out to be is... 1984 / 1994?

Just guessing!

3. RabbitShagger New Member

Thanks for the reply Zender!! :thumbup: from what i can see it looks like you are on the money about the dates and mine being 84 or 94, that defiantly helps me narrow things down and going by the reverse switch am thinking 84, its the 2 parallel pins coted in plastic half way up the pins so think the 94 are a newer different style. That's 2 photos of the gearbox on the link i have newly added and i have tried my new 8v clutch disc on and it is defiantly a small spline shaft.

4. Zender Z20

The 6W05044 does look original / genuine VW... the 9 on my (MK1) box would be the same style of character as the 6 on yours and the '0', shame there aren't more letters / numbers in common to check.

The line of numbers above may be a later addition?

The 5's are a completely different style, apart from also being all over the place.

Check the inside face of the bell housing , what's the part number?

IMG20230718193328[1].jpg IMG20230718193428[1].jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  5. Zender Z20

Your images...

2.jpeg a.jpeg

6. RabbitShagger New Member

I never realised that the 5's were a totally different font, its safe to say with that and the mess of the numbers it must have been at a later date like you said and what it could possibly symbolise maybe had been recalled or rebuild date. I guess it must have been Volkswagen themselves poking around with a punch.
    And i would also say you are correct about the 9-6 and 0 font on your box being identical and possibly original vag, it just seem a bit impossible for there to be a Volkswagen 020 with a code that's not spoken about on any of the wright ups i have read or a whisper of on the internet.... unless its maybe from a diffrent part of the world or Chinese :lol:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Zender Z20

Would it be a Montego / Maestro box, didn't they use VW ones on diesels or something like that?

8. RabbitShagger New Member

9. Zender Z20

10. RabbitShagger New Member

Well dude unfortunately it looks like you are right again :lol: the mystery is solved. At least there is a forum for the next guy now :cry: And thanks for the help min! that has saved me from having to open the box up..
    Since you seem to always be right can I ask what is your thoughts on the maestro form you sent and mating the 6w to a kr? Because that is what I was planning on to do with the the supposedly 8v GTi box untill I could source a 2y. I currently have 4t on the kr which looks to have same ratios as the 6w apart from the final drive is I think 3.67 on the 4t but 3.94 on the 6w metro box so should be a slite upgrade? The rover boy on your maestro form though it would be a good box for the kr but I thought I should ask the a expert and see if he agrees [:D]

11. Zender Z20

Appreciate the sentiment but unfortunately I think you're mixing me up with someone else!

My mechanical skills are very much in the amateur catagory.

But don't worry... the forum's full of people who'll have the knowledge / expertise to answer your questions, just hang on a while and help'll be along soon.

Wouldn't be getting too down about it yet either, might even have landed on your feet and bagged a performance upgrade.

Saw the receipt in the link, I'd give them a shout (might be them who stamped the additional marks) and see if they can provide you some detail about what work was done etc.

12. Zender Z20