N249 bypass....my way safe or not?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Pcunliffe1511, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Pcunliffe1511 Forum Member

Hi I've been uming and rrrrring whether or not to do the bypass.

I finally decided to give it a go today so here's what I did...

As I had already installed a catch can so had a spare nipple which was capped off on the underside of the inlet manifold. I used this and ran a hose to the diverter valve. The original dv hose I capped off. This eliminates the need to t into the FPR.= Less potential for leaks.

I then removed the vacuum chamber from the top of the valve cover and capped the hose leading into it.

And that's It.....

I took it for a test drive and it boosted 1-2 psi more, so Im guessing I had a leak thats now gone.

It sounded different too. A louder more crisp sound from the diverter and it no longer bleeds boost at high gears with low revs. This I found makes it more responsive when you do plant you right foot.

Has anybody done it this way before?
    Anyone think this a bad way to do it?

Any input welcome....

Oh the cars an AUQ engine

P.s my way I havnt cut any pipes at all so it would take me all of 10 mins to put it back the way it was, all that I used was about half a meter of hose.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Folks take it off believing it is the 'better' to what the OEM intended. Usually there is no data to support such though apart from subjective comment.
    Some folk are also after the uncluttered look and prefer to remove and sacrifice some long term turbo durability.

3. Pcunliffe1511 Forum Member

To be honest after living with it for the past week I've decided to put it back on. For my car it definately boosts more, to what I believe is standard boost for the auq. Therefore I'm putting that down to the possibility I had a boost leak somewhere in the system which has now been bypassed. However the car feels more jerky and has developed a slight hesitation in second gear at low revs.
    I'm going to replace all the hoses for new and reinstall the n249.
    I hope this may be of some help to others considering doing this mod.