Need a HUGE favour from TDi owners in NW

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ourkid, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ourkid Forum Member

I've been working for months trying to troubleshoot a problem with the ECU on my Mk2/Tdi project.I've had sockets soldered in and had files written to chips and now my car is dead.

I've been testing everything i can but am out of time/cash/patience.It's a real shame as the car is almost finished.

The big favour i am asking for is if anyone with a Mk3 Tdi (1Z or AHU),WITH A DK ECU,could possibly let me plug there ECU into my car for 5 mins to see if going back to a standard setup will get it running again.At least this would restore my will to carry on,and i could then look to get hold of another without knowing i am yet again barking up the wrong tree and wasting more cash.

Alternatively if anyone has a spare ECU that i could borrow (obviously i would reimburse postage etc).Ideally i would need a matching key to tape up to my transponder.

I would be eternally grateful.I may be able to offer a favour in return as i run a Engineering workshop and can get welding/machining jobs etc done (within reason)

thanks,
    Ade.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Where abouts are you, Ade? I`m in Manchester, and have a Mk3 TDI (AHU engine). I`ll confirm in the morning, if the ECU is DK or not. :thumbup:

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

You in the Port aren't you? I don't have a ECU for that vehicle but if you've written a dud map, you could of bricked the ECU

what you been using for checksums corrections? you getting any communicatons to the ECU with any scanners?
    worth reflashing the eprom back to original, a 29000 chip?

PS Chester meet is this week

4. danster Forum Addict

I have an AHU tdi ecu that failed due to the case becoming porous and a little h2o getting in where it should not be.
    I think it was just a track on the pcb that got damaged. If it is any use just let me know.

5. ourkid Forum Member

Cheers mate,that's good of you,pity you are not a bit closer though as Manchester is a little far tbh.

6. ourkid Forum Member

Hi crispy,I'll try to hook it up to VAG COM this week.Electronics are not my thing tbh,i've just plugged some chips in that were flashed for me.All i know is before my ECU was worked on ,the car ran ok[:^(]

Someone on here has been kind enough to try and get some standard DK chips sorted for me,but just out of curiosity,what else could shag an ECU? (it's been up and down the country in the post a few times,and i must admit i've been plugging it in/disconnecting it,sometimes without turning off the igntion,could this have damaged the CPU?[:$][:$]

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

only poor earths could, or huge spike up the wrong wire could kill an ECU - other than water ingress

chips are very sensitive during the flash process, as well as are all the contacts be it soldered or pushed in

if you've done nothing else but alter the chips - I'd agree it's your first port of call

last one of mine I bricked was 2 days before a rolling road day, which StuMc will remember as I put the daily oild burner on with surprising results

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You certainly looked pleased with yourself! :lol:

[​IMG]

9. m1keh Forum Member

When you say this do you mean once flashed they can be corrupted. Or in the flashing process sometimes it does not work correctly.

My programmer verifies the written file by reading it again after and checking that the read file matches the one which has been written. I checked the read in winOls against the file I have burnt to.

Ade, if you just want some DK chips to try first I have a pair written at the moment which I could send up if you want?

10. ourkid Forum Member

Thanks Mike, PM sent

11. ourkid Forum Member

I'd be interested to know this also!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

during the the flash process, or also the mounting surface to the pcb board having dry joint etc

I take it you've been altering the checksums, and this has the only alteration to cause a none start

13. m1keh Forum Member

I haven't given Ade any chips so far, I'm guessing Ade has these problems either from checksums or badly programmed chips, as he has checked continuity from the socket pins to the rest of it.

I would hope whoever the files where bought from would have done the checksums for Ade.

I wondered purely about the corruption just so I know what to look out for when I encounter

My plan is to create myself an immo off'd ecu for test purposes on my own car and have my original ecu as a spare in case the worse should happen.

Im still in the early days of this whole lot really but had chip programing experience from Pic based projects in Uni.

14. ourkid Forum Member

Yeah,i wish i'd had the mods done to a spare ECU instead of compromising my original!.Trouble is,after all this time if i find the ECU has another issue (bad CPU or broken track/etc),then i'm back to square 1.

thanks for the help guys,i have a completed,fully refurbished car waiting on my drive which could put a huge smile on my face (programmer estimates 170-180 bhp).Mind you,not all bad,i bought a mk1 Gti cabby last week which is now my daily and loving it!!!

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

best way TBH, when I bricked my ECU, while that was geting fixed a sourced a replacment, I now keep 2 with always one to map - potentally having a choice of 4 sets of map to pick from when I get time [:s][:x]

I have some hardware I believe might be able to deal with immob, but not tested it as I can sway ECUS as and when I have a PC handy;)

16. m1keh Forum Member

Crispy do you know where I could source the wiring terminals for the msa15 plug? Want to stick the wires in for cruise control on my car.

17. ourkid Forum Member

IT"S RUNNING !!!!!!!

Can't thank you guys enough,this has been doing my head in for months - Mike,thank you for the DK chips,if i can keep them until the end of the week that would be cool.

So,my ECU is fine,which means i don't have to mess about with imm delete on another.My next step is to get the files i bought put onto a couple of chips,as at the moment it won't rev properly,probably down to it having a vnt turbo fitted.

Couple of beers to celebrate i think!

18. aidanb22 Forum Member

Which ECU is this Ade?

19. m1keh Forum Member

MSA15 028906021DK used in seat ibiza's and cordobas and some toledos mostly.

Not revving properly is due to the files being for wastegate control not VNT control. But just to check I guess you have plumbed in the vacuum system and different N75 too now?

20. ourkid Forum Member

Hi Aidan,

I've been dragging my heels a bit on this project eh[:$] lol

It's the original DK one that came with the donor Mk3 i bought early in the year (remember you had it for a while then sent it back)I'm just glad i seem to have stopped going round in circles!