Need a new digital camera but need advice! *Bought one 28/12/10*

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by nealey, Nov 28, 2010.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

Im in the market for a new digital camera which I shall be purchasing in the next couple of weeks.

Ive got a few requirements for it

• 200 max budget
    • Small enough to fit in my pocket
    • Needs to be capable of decent action shots (mainly me running)
    • Would like it to be able to take decent photos in low light conditions
    • Needs a good battery life

They are my basic requirements for it.

Next year I will be doing a bit of mountain climbing which is where the battery life comes into play as I will only get chance to charge it the day before.

I was originally looking at the Nikon coolpix S8000 but after reading a few reviews many were saying that the Panasonic Lumix TZ10 was a better option, however this has taken a battering on battery life apparantly compared to the TZ8 which is the current one I'm looking at.

Ive got next week off work so plan to go check some out but I would like to go with a good idea of what I'm looking for before I go.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

panasonic lumix or nikon coolpix are the leaders, with sony just behind. Im currently shopping around for a compact too, I think i'll end up with the S110pj that dooby has just linked too

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Nipped into currys earlier today for a quick look, spoke to one of the guys in there, asked a few questions and he said to go for either a panasonic lumix or the nikon coolpix which will do the job. He said feature wise the Lumix has the edge slightly but there isnt much in it.

Was going to get the Lumix TZ8, but they have no stock locally and are not likely to get any in as its been replaced by the TZ10 which is 50 more but I wont use the extra features so its not worth paying the extra

They do have a TZ9 which is a comet/currys only camera and is pretty much the same as the TZ8 but is 40 more. Im going to look in some other places to see if I can get a TZ8 anywhere but if all else fails the guy in currys said if I buy a case and memory card he will discount the TZ9 to the TZ8 price

5. DOOBY

DOOBY Banned

I see you're from Coventry, nealey. How about a trip to Leamington , to London Camera Exchange? May be worth your while?

They have a store in Derby and I've been going there for everything.

They beat any price I've seen on ebay and really look after their customers.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/

6. nealey Forum Junkie

I was planning to go over to Leamington at the end of the week so will check that out whilst I'm there.

Cheers

7. nealey Forum Junkie

Well I went and bought my camera today, did a bit more research on the Panansonic Lumix TZ9 and it turns out its just a TZ10 with the features I wasn't particularly bothered about removed!

Got it from currys in the end, they had recently knocked the price down again so it came in at just under 200. Managed to blag a free 4mb memory card with it as well and Panasonic are currently doing a 20 cashback offer on it so its actually worked out cheaper than the TZ8 which I was going to buy originally.

8. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

You will only get one shot on that card !!!

Great camera, wicked optical zoom or such a small camera

9. Collie Forum Junkie

he must mean gb