need more POWER!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ben mk2, Oct 11, 2012.

1. ben mk2 Forum Member

Ullo,

I've got a mk2 20vt. It's an AGU with a cc remap and a few other bits. Basically i want a lot more power!! I know my way around a set of spanners but the choice of turbos and options is killing me (softly!!). I'd like to break 300hp. I know i'll need some better rods and a few other bits, injectors etc etc. I've got a broken k03s i could hybrid but i'm not sure this will give me what I'm after. It would however mean I could keep my down pipe, TIP etc etc. Can I still run standard management (obv with a custom map) if i chose something like this:

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=467293

I really want something that's gonna be a real monster and sounds awesome. The engine is coming out soon to tidy the bay so it'd be rude not to upgrade a little whilst its out!!

Thanks for any input anyone can give, I'm a bit over whelmed with all the stuff i've been reading!

2. D4LFR Forum Member

ask badger 5 about his k03 hybrid+ ...300bhp on this turbo
    would be muchos fun in a mk2 :)

3. ben mk2 Forum Member

Email to bill and cr turbos sent!!
    Here's the reply from CR:

Overhaul & Upgrades to customers units: Depending on the units being repairable.

Stage 1 - 525.00 + 15.00 Carriage + Vat – 250Bhp

Stage 2 - 595.00 + 15.00 Carriage + Vat – 280Bhp

This is depending on the condition of the turbine housing, if it damaged the prices will be as follow

Stage 1 - 725.00 + 15.00 Carriage + Vat

Stage 2 - 825.00 + 15.00 Carriage + Vat

I'm thinking the ihi might be the better option?!!??

4. Admin Guest

don't you need a manifold and downpipe to go with a IHI item?

least with hybrid you can reuse the stock items?

chasing power is never cheap.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Do you know what 250hp feels like let alone 300hp In a mk2. You might want to think how you'll be getting that power to the ground. Gearbox mods will probably be needed too.

6. ben mk2 Forum Member

This is part of the dilemma! The kit I'm looking at has a manifold and down pipe included. I like the idea of having something to build on with the ihi where as the ko3 will be at its max. Again another issue is going over kill with the power, the car is a shade over 200bhp at the mo but I want more. The chassis is pretty much all there already. So many choices!!!! Where's best to source rods in the uk?

thanks for all the input, it's appreciated!

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Alot of people use intenginering rods. But there are many choices. Rifle drilling also adds to cost.

Turbo choice depends on how you drive and what car is used for. A hybrid would give you the easiest bolt on setup with torque coming in early in the rev range. IhI's do look like a good option but manifolds are quite expensive and reliability seems to be an issue. Then there's the popular gt28rs which is good for 350hp.

50 hp is a big jump in power and depending on what gearbox you have, would render 1st and 2nd useless under hard acceleration.

You are saying you want over 300. Depending on how it's delivered, it may not be usable power for what you need. Obviously boost can be turned down.

Maybe you could go out in a few different cars to see what works for you.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

good thread

price of the turbo is one thing. no point doing that amoun of work and not replacing the maf.

then injectors to suit and then software

9. turbotommy Forum Member

Have to agree with this.

A hybrid k03s would be a good choice (something like 280 bhp maybe?) you might get away without using rods too if your brave an have a good map but speak to an expert 1st for a better opinion than mine.
    No matter what,your gonna need a diff so i'd buy one of them 1st.
    Its tempting to go for the big 300+ but i think the cost can be alot when breaking that barrier ( i know its a shame about the std rods being right on that line)
    I'm in the same boat mind,do i really need that much power? yes i'd like it but then again,i'm even more likely to crash the car on track & probably on the road too (it tries to kill me in the wet as it is) so be prepared for 5th gear wheelspin in the wet at over 100mph in places like crests in the road and thats with 280ish.
    If you want 320-350 bhp well,just be prepared for anything lol.
    To me,spool is very important,i really like the k04 for the lack of lag but it spikes low which break's traction and does not like anything above 6k+ rev wise.
    I'm going big turbo in the winter subject to costs and the availability of the package i want,the reasons for this are,spool,power delivery,reliability of the turbo brand and rev range it will be happy in.
    I just hope i don't stack it on the 1st trackday i do next year lol.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Do you want real power you can put down, or just numbers to talk about in the pub. I reckon 230-250bhp and a slipper diff, would be quicker in the real world than a 300+bhp car on a standard open diff.

You might have the box sorted already, but if not, you might want to rethink where to spend your money.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but delivery with a ko4/ko3 will be spikey if mapped in the typical fashion

the torque spike does no favours

12. boostedgolf Forum Member

Why not get a ko4 & the necessary items & go that route isnt it cheaper then rebuilding ur ko3s?

I have been there & whent for a complete engine build. Better have things right then everything runing on its limit.

You can also source a t3 cosworth turbo or a garrett GT28 coupled with a kinetic manifold & a sett of uprated injectors u are looking at a confy 290 if you dont want to push it cause of the OEM rods & valves

13. ben mk2 Forum Member

I "think" I'm gonna go the ihi route, I know there's a ton of other stuff I'll need, rods, 3" maf, injectors custom map etc etc. I think it will give me more options if I ever haldex the car (which is the long term goal). I'm guessing that with a conservative map and a nice diff it'll be a lot of fun. The car isn't a daily and is purely a toy!

14. JWYATT Forum Member

Why do you need moer power !? ive driven 911 turbos / clssic STI's/ evos at my old job and none of them have
    given me the thrill factor my mk2 with a standard as AUQ in it ! , funest car ever any more power and the grip will be an issue ,

the power its running id assume must be around the 180 from factory its brilliant ,
    id focus on the handling / braking coz a mk2 doing 300bhp speeds would be pretty scary to say the least !

15. HidRo Forum Member

Go IHI.
    I went mk2 with a k04-023, and should have reached 280hp (never dyno'd it to that). At 0.9bar it was 234hp.
    The low down torque is nice to have, and fun to drive around town, but it will spin 3rd gear easy.
    Now got a Garrett T3T4E 50Trim, and it's not as fun as k04 to driver around in trafic, but has nothing to do with the power when you are ripping it.
    400hp is my goal, let's see if I can make it :p

16. ben mk2 Forum Member

Went ihi in the end, should be here by the weekend! Looking forward to the challenge ;)

17. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great thread! My Mk2 is coming off the road at the end of this month. I'm seriously thinking of taking the engine out and fitting a bigger turbo.

I've got a list as long as my arm with things that need doing, but this is definitely up there.

Not sure what I'm going to go for yet ? Something different hopefully ;)

Did you buy that Ihi kit from ed38 then Ben ? :)

18. ben mk2 Forum Member

Yeah that's the one! The seller is on here as well. Very nearly bought a rotrex supercharger kit from INA engineering but changed by mind. Just trying to compile a shopping list then gonna do it over the winter along with a loom tuck!

19. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great piece of kit that :)

I'm still unsure what power I'd be looking to achieve with mine ?

300 would probably be max I'd go to. Would be happy with anything over 250 though. Gearbox will have to be changed on mine though for something stronger. K03s hybrid sounds good to me, as not a lot will need changing.

We'll see. ;)

20. HidRo Forum Member

Well, if I can put down my 2cents (or pennies for you guys :lol:) I've been in the 200+ area, and it's really great, for a little while.
    It will get old, really fast. And the power output is like a TDI, so it's boooooooring :p