New camera practice: A walk in the woods on the beach

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Admin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

The new camera arrived this afternoon so I popped out for a walk in between down poors to get to grips with the camera.

It is a Sony NEX 5 and so far I love it :thumbup: have costumized a few buttons and find it real easy to use, a great step up from a point and click.

The pics are just me playing with some of the features/settings so not really much to right home about but I hope you enjoy. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a lovely area to walk around but even better to ride on a MTB (the dirt jumps are a little too big for me now) and best of all it is 5mins from my home :thumbup:

I cannot wait for a sunny day and a great setting so i can start to take some good pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Nice work, like the shroomer photo:thumbup:

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

You have some nice pictures there and the camera has a good reputation, so it will be interesting to see what you produce once you've had time to play with it for a while.

4. Admin Guest

Well I have been playing and took lots of photos at the weekend. Most were portraits that im not going to post but I did take some others too. I am enjoying playing with the camera, im confident to keep it in manual mode most of the time (but do some times find the ISO has been left high from the night before and catch mayself out...[:^(])

Anytips to help me frame, or get the settings right. You may think some of my pics are over or under exposed and it would be good to know :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think some of the pictures could be cropped or tweeked in PS but these are straight from the camera so any pointers you have there too let me know.

The reason i bought the camera is because my point and shoot was dropped about 2 years ago and has never focused properly since, im going on a holiday of a lifetime soon and want to capture it as best I can. hence all the request for help.

Cheers Tom.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  5. Admin Guest

like the jump spot!

This works for me for some reason
    [​IMG]

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - that's one of my favourite mistakes - forgetting about the ISO I was using last time, so glad to hear other people do it, too.

Love the colourpoint - I bet he's a bit of a character!

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Are you wanting to leave the background blurry? Seam to be losing some depth of field here.

[​IMG]

8. Admin Guest

Agreed, i need practice working out how much depth of field to use, on close up's and zoomed in images the background loses focus quite quickly so ill have a play around with different values for close/zoomed stuff :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  9. Admin Guest

She is a right bruiser, i was trying to capture that in the images, she does sometime pretend to be friendly, but stick your hand in and it will be attacked [8(] - luckily shes not my cat as she does not like me. :lol:

[​IMG]

Here is mine (i took these yesturday evening, they move so fast i had to change from manual mode as the light was changing as i panned them and i didnt mange many good action shots of them - need to bump the shutter speed i think):

[​IMG]

A new lense coverter arrived today, it turns the 16mm pancake lense into a fish eye :thumbup: its was a cheap lense (which you can tell from the pics) but still will be pefect for playing around with. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does the camera have F stop adjustment?

11. Admin Guest

Yes it does, the pic was taken on the lowest setting, i have been playing around with it recently and know what setting are better to use when taking close ups like the mushrooms. :thumbup: