New car today

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Harryharris, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Harryharris New Member

Hello there, just picked up a 16v small bumper, stunning by the way!
    Was driving it earlier and the water temperature gauge was pointing past the centre point? I used to have one of these, but can’t remember where the needle used to point to when it’s happy?

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Mine usually sits a smidge over half, highest is between half and 3/4

That's with cooling system in good order (new rad, system fully Flushed, new stat, correct coolant mix)

daNpy likes this.
  3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Post some pics of the MK2 also :-)

4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, mine sits a fraction over half while moving on a typical 19degs outside air temp. Rises quite quickly sitting in traffic but so long as the fan’s kicking in and out it’s happy. Check the oil temp on the MFA should be around 106-114 with the above while moving. I used to get hung up about temp in my 8v which always sat a bit higher towards 3/4. Changed the thermostat, radiator, heater matrix and water pump with no difference. Changed the gauge in the clocks and it read lower. Remember, it’s just an ohm meter that roughly gives a representation of temperature. See where the fan kicks in which is run by a different sensor. If that’s on while moving further investigation may be appropriate.

5. stevencooke Forum Member

Just got a car myself and noticed the same thing with the temp gauge going past the middle. Thought it was normal at first, but turns out it's best to keep it around the middle for a smooth run. Had to check the cooling system to make sure everything was alright.

Funny thing, when the guys from A-1 Auto Transport delivered my car, they mentioned something about it. Gave me some great insights on keeping the car in top shape after bringing it over to my country.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024