new clutch MK1 GTI - where from? Kit of on its own

Discussion in '8-valve' started by M7R, Aug 12, 2008.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

The mk1 is being treated to a new clutch as I have got a uprated 16v pressure plate to go in to hopefully stop the very ocational bit of slip, but do I just use another normal clutch or do I go uprated? (the engines only pumping out about 125bhp) also do I buy a kit or do I just get the clutch plate and a new release bearing on their on?

fnally where the best reasonably priced place to get one from?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

To be honest, with that power figure you should be fine with a standard 8v clutch.

If you're getting the occasional slip, you want to check the condition of your flywheel, and make sure there's no oil leaking onto the clutch.... unless the clutch is very worn, of course.

I always give the flywheel a rub down with some rough sandpaper when I change the clutch - makes sure the clutch has a good grip of the fly.

You might have to buy a whole kit if you want to avoid paying dealer prices.

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

The engine was rebuilt by a engine builder for the last owner, so I would assume that all the seals have been replaced, but im not 100% sure if the clutch was changed, good practice would have said yes, but theres nothing on the invoice for one. - It only slips when really giving it some and then its only very rarely. when I cahnge gear the revs wont drop down as the clutch slips but its pretty rare when it does it.

Ill hopefully split it all this weekend and see what the clutch looks like, Im hoping its just the pressure plates gone weak with age and the new uprated one will sort it out, Ill just buy a kit if its going to be easier as then I can atleast do the release bearing too.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

is the diesel clutch a useable swap for handling more Torque?

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

wait til it it completly dead . might be a slight oil weap from the crank seal

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I want to do it now, as I have another trackday at the end of Oct, and its blood anoying when tanking out fo a corner you go for 3rd and its just slips like a bugger!

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like you should change it before it lets go and over-revs your engine.

Also, I don't think any of the kits I've bought included a release bearing. I've bought gen VW (though not from VW) and Sachs ones in the past.

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have a rev limiter on there so im safe-ish and when its slipping it just seems to hold the revs around 4500rpm, but as soon as its slipping I back off and then its normally ok. Im not driving the car at the mo anyways.

On the release bearing I only thought they had that as a kit on ebay did, I assume it good practice to change this too while its all apart - this is my first clutch ive done - do I need any special tool for this job? I have a good selection of spanners, sockets, etc.

Cheers

Karl.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

If the clutch lets go with a bang your rev limiter won't make any difference.

I've never bothered changing release bearings, as they seem to last forever, but it's probably good practice.

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

aahh! well no worries as the cars not on the road anyways so its doing no miles.[:^(]