New fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jonnyxba, May 31, 2023.

1. jonnyxba New Member

Hi all changed the fuel pump the one under the car . Now the car won’t start i don’t think I’m getting any fuel to the to the injectors . I took the fuel pump back out and no fuel came out the housing . I’ve checked the plugs and I have a spark . It’s a mk2 golf gti 16v 1989 . Also I’ve put fresh fuel in as the car has been stored for about 8 months appreciate any help

2. Matt Golf Forum Member

Getting any buzz from the undercar fuel pump as it primes when the ignition is switched on?

3. jonnyxba New Member

Yes the pump is priming .

4. Matt Golf Forum Member

Lift pump in fuel tank? If that doesn’t work the fuel never reaches the swirl pot or gets a chance to be put under pressure by the main pump to the metering head. Check the connections and the unit itself. Fairly simple to access.

5. jonnyxba New Member

I’ll give that a try let you know how I get on
    Thanks .

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unplug the main pump under the car and switch ignition,. see if you can hear lifter prime. you can check flow rate disconnect the feed line run a hose from it to a container. swap the 17/18 relay into the 80/67/167 relay socket, turn ignition on for 10 seconds. you should get 300cc of fuel

7. jonnyxba New Member

Tested the connection to the lift pump and have power coming to that . Tested the pump with a battery and a couple of wires and didn’t hear anything . I’ll try what rubjonny suggested the weekend . Thanx for the help

8. watercooled Forum Member

If the housing is dry the pump can't be priming ,I suspect you lift pump is toast or the suction pipe jointer has split,also how much fuel have you put in ?.
    I recently changed my filter on k-jet system and drained all the old stinky fuel but because the car was jacked up it didn't add enough fresh fuel
    You can fit a jumper wire into the fuseboard where the pump relay was,seem to remember it is pin 30 and 87 (could be wrong ),this will help you get a better prime if needed and you can control that with "key on"

9. jonnyxba New Member

I’ve put about 8 litres of fuel in and the car is level on axle stands . Where is the suction pipe jointer located ? Thanks .

10. watercooled Forum Member

Inside the tank , mounts the pump to the float assembly,these turn to mush and split,NLA as far as I know,I had a devil of time finding correct rated hose and ended using a piece of hydraulic "push lock" hose rated for fuel...so far so good,found a company that sold submersible rated house and it was like $40/ft but they didn't have the size I needed.
    Before you dig in there apply the relay jumper and see if you can hear the lift pump running ,you should feel a slight vibration also ,at that point you can confirm ether way if its working,cheers.

11. jonnyxba New Member

Hi all finally got the golf started it was the in tank lift pump managed to get a hose of eBay as the one on the pump was mush . Done the job just hope it lasts . Thanks for the help much appreciated IMG_5891.jpeg

Cressa and Rustbuster like this.