New golf GTi

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by vw scottie, Nov 5, 2004.

1. vw scottie Forum Member

What doe`s everyone think of it [:?:] .i`m thinking of buying one but not 100% certain yet [:[] please help me decide

2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

wait for the lightweight version

3. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

buy a mk1 gti!! everyones happy when they buy them!

4. Rob.gti Forum Member

If I had the money i wouldnt hesitate!

Its gonna be an awesome car. So far Evo, AutoExpress and AutoCar have all tested it against its rivals and it beats them all.

They all agree too that the VW claims of 0-60 of 7.1 seconds is rubbish - AutoExpress were managing 6.7 second sprints! Thats only slightly slower than an R32 :o

Top Gear will be reviewing in a couple of weeks - watch that and I am sure it will be praised

5. Rob.gti Forum Member

Forgot to add, if you really want one, got to:

www.drivethedeal.co.uk

I have just got a quote for a MK5 GTI 3 door, with 18" alloys and 6 disc changer in Flash Red:

Price: 18611 - saving 2218 on list price!!!! :o

6. Red_TN Forum Member

These reviews, are thye up on the net anywhere. need a good read!

7. edc1 Forum Member

EVO haven't tested it against other hot hatches. The writer of this month's test merely alludes to the possibility that it could well be better than all the current crop of bigger hot hatches such as Leon R and Civic Type R. The writer deliberately avoids comparison with Clio 182 etc. Whether that's because they are a different size or whether the Golf is not as good or is plainly better is not stated.

8. vw scottie Forum Member

Thanks for the link there`s big savings to be made :thumbup:

9. Andy665 Forum Member

Buy this weeks Autocar - fairly reasonable in-depth test.

Think its expensive but as an all-round proposition pretty hard to beat

10. edc1 Forum Member

Until the equivalent Skoda or SEAT comes out ...

11. ManicGTI Forum Member

Auto express reviews it against Type R and says type R is a better drivers car, megane 225 is more powerful but w*** gearbox and bmw 1 which isnt in the same league with 40+ bhp less....hardly a decisive victory. Oh and it doesnt include the Mini Cooper S, Cupra R, Skoda RS...etc etc etc

17000...thats 225bhp 4wd impreza terratory.

However....wait for the Lightweight version and almost certainly:clap:

12. Rob.gti Forum Member

Currently there are no plans for Skoda or SEAT to get the 2.0 FSI Turbo engines. VW and Audi are said to be keeping them for themselves.

All future perfomance versions of SEAT and Skoda will be fueled by Diesel

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

I'd like one, and yes there might be newer cars coming out that are better, but if you look at the whole marketplace there always is.

14. Rob.gti Forum Member

The AutoExpress verdict reads as follows:

nuff said :clap:

15. edc1 Forum Member

You may well be right, who knows. But, if that's the case then why bother having Skoda and SEAT in the same group? SEAT is supposedly the 'sporty' arm of the high production models so tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the FSI's were on SEATs and Skodas, after all, economies of scale and all that and pretty much everything else has filtered thru.

It might not be such a bad thing if FSI doesn't come thru, it's meant to be v hard to tune. Perhaps you will see the big power modded cars coming from SEAT and Skoda in the future?

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

Have you seen SEAT's latest designs for their cars!! Hardly sporty looking :thumbd: [:s] [8(]

17. ManicGTI Forum Member

fair enough :lol:. I was being cheekily selective in what I was taking from the review. Ok so they had the Golf pegged as best overall, I still reckon worth waiting for the lightweight version.

So some Journo from Auto express prefers cruising around in a GTI, ho Hum. It just annoys me that they say the Type R is 'the most focused drivers car' but judge the winner as the Golf as its 'refined and well equipped'. Is this the most important thing people look for in a 'hot hatch'? really?

'spirit of an old classic'.......but not the most focused drivers car. Hmm. Draw your won conclusions from that.

I'm clearly too cynical! :lol: but then I drive a rusty mk1 GTi and have never had the opportunity to buy a new car. Mine is an uneducated opinion ( I haven't driven a new GTI, Type R, Seat Cupra R etc) so take it at face value :p!

think i'll go back to grumbling about leaky seals, rusty arches and missing trim...the old classic eh[:$]