New, little, non car project

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dodgy, Sep 1, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Between work, diy, shopping and travelling up and down the country I've managed to find this new toy for Mrs Dodgy.

All started at the car show at the beginning of August when we saw electric bikes, and she fancied one, looked into it and planned to hire before buying, they are more than we paid for either golf!

So Friday on a visit to my friend at the scrapyard we got talking as I know he used to have an electric bike, it has been stood for 5 years in the dry, was all there except the charger, needs TLC.
    A deal was struck and the bike then has been chauffeured to Bristol, back to Somerset, Bristol again and then west Yorkshire on Sunday.

Screenshot_20220831-232144_Gallery.jpg

Got to have a little play on Monday after clearing the DIY stuff away (adulting is non stop)
    Took battery pack apart to find it has 2 lucas 12v batteries so stuck charger on them and both showed charged, thought they would be kaput after standing so long but rewired them back up, casing was taped together so needs sorting, cleaned contacts and dropped pack back in place.
    Flicked the switch, turned the accelerator with rear wheel off the floor and it works!
    New tubes, tyres and brakes are needed, ordered a charger and needs a good service. Will look at replacement handlebars but all in it should be under £200, or just over if actually do need batteries replaced.
    Will get some better pics and update when I get back from the birthday break.

2. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Its going to need a spoiler and bigger brakes

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Braking is definitely in need of a bit of work, may opt for a wicker basket instead of a spoiler though.

If this works, and it's OK, I may even convert an old bike to go to work on, or a tricycle.

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

You could easily get a 256mm disc set up on that machine @dodgy and frankly with that amazing techno-colour dream jumper on - the sky is the limit.....

dodgy and PhilRyder like this.
  5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

The 70s called and want their jumper back…:lol:

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

That jumper is sadly missed now, was custom made for me, and I had a Dennis the menace style one too.
    Aye, reckon 288 on the 26" rims @costel1969 easily.
    And talking of 70s retro, the second non car project has arrived.

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

You may wish to check out Decathlon and Wilko for your bike tyres, tubes etc. Costs can be higher at traditional bike shops.

dodgy likes this.
  8. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Still waiting with bated breath for the latest arrival

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Definitely do not use wilko tyres, they’re like retreads of the car world.

I know your name is dodgy but… it’s ILLEGAL :O

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

It's arrived, in the garage, but a slow burner, got to get lots of bits to start it, will see what can rustle up
    On the electric bike though, parts have turned up, new batteries, and rewired internally the pack but awaiting a new fuse holder as original had corroded.
    If get chance will swap tyres and give a good clean over the weekend, brakes overhauled too.
    We have a charity bike shop in our town and have been to see them today and had a chat about some stuff, and sniff out replacement bits.