New look Citi Golf Opinions?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by fthaimike, Jan 21, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

South Africa Clicky

Does anybody know anyone who's imported one & do the European parts fit it or vice versa? (not that im getting one).

What's your Opinion on the car?

I think that it's great that the Mk1 is still going in some shape or form.

The 360' view link is nice.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New breath of life Citi Golf 1.6i Life
    OLD SOLDIERS never die and, as demonstrated by the Citi Golf, they dont necessarily fade away, either. Over 22 years after its South African introduction (and some 16 years after the Citi nameplate was coined), Golf 1 soldiers on, as popular as ever, on the local market. At the launch of the latest, rejuvenated range (complete with fuel-injected engines) late last year, we were told that the boxy Giugiaro-styled favourite would be around for at least another half decade.

As reported in February Update, the basic carb-fed 1.3 and 1.6-litre Chicos continue, but the range is bolstered by two fuel-injected models. The new Chico 1.4i gets the 1 423cm unit from the basic Polo Playa/Classic models, and two 1.6i versions, a Chico 1.6i and a Citi Golf Life, are powered by another transplant from the Polo range, this time the 74 kW 1.6.

Conscious of affordability, we would have liked to kick off our testing of the new injected range by sampling a Chico 1.4i, but Volkswagens PR department dropped off an example of the more powerful and luxurious 1.6i Life version instead. Departing from the basic minimalist Chico theme, the Life features luxuries such as five-spoke alloy wheels, a leather-rimmed steering wheel, sports seats, and a front-loading single CD/radio, all included in the R66 880 price-tag.

So the Life is a lot more than budget transport, and is likely to appeal to young trendies who are sold on Golf 1s dated (but pugnacious) looks, a superb handling package, not inconsiderable performance, and a dash of luxury equipment. Positioned as it is, we wouldnt be surprised if many buyers also investigate the feasibility of fitting an after-market air-conditioner to round off the package.

The integrated bumpers (adopted about 10 years ago, along with a sloped-back grille) have done much to arrest the ageing process, and the special alloys give the car a hot hatch look, evoking memories of the original GTi (launched initially as a 1.6 in Europe).

Inside, the sports buckets, golfball shifter, Polo-derived column stalks and small, grippy steering wheel continue the sporty theme. But apart from that, the inside is pure Golf 1/ Chico, with the now really dated angular dash taking one right back to the 70s. We hear that VWSA did consider installing an adapted version of the Polo facia, but abandoned the idea because of cost. We believe the more modern dash would have dramatically updated the car.

At least the current rendering of the facia incorporates central vents to provide more comprehensive interior ventilation. But you still have to angle the inlet grilles upwards to direct fresh air on to the faces of driver and front passenger.

Edited by: fthaimike

2. madmonkey Forum Addict

I love it!, only shame it's a 5 door. [:^(]

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think that's one of the reasons people dont go for them, but seeing one in the flesh would be nice [:D] .

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I saw an L registration one on Autotrader for about 900 quid. Was tempted to go and look at it, but probably won't. Doubt you'd see many of those on Autotrader though!

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Would be good if VW sold a three door Mk1 over here I reckon that they would sell shed loads of `em if the price was right especially to drivers starting out.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think even if the price was high there would still be a huge attraction to them :thumbup:.

mk1 looks with mk 3-4 comfort :lol: :lol: , then no more arguing on here :clap: .

7. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

They are selling for approx 6 grand according to that site imagine that for sale here lets face it VW are overpriced compared to 20 - 30 years ago so a cheap VW would be the answer to new drivers and no doubt they would benefit from upgrading and servicing as the owner becomes a better off in the following years and brand loyalty would be established at an early age.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah can you imagine the classy look of the Citi against the present 6k cars here in the uk. Sod the Mk5 lets have a Mk1 revival :clap: .

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

see a white one quite alot and i hate it!
    horrible horrible cars!!
    curious mix of mk1 with mk2- and doesn't work at all IMO.

hate them :thumbd:

there's also a TERRIBLE looking blue one i see going around. chrome wipers, stupid looking bodykit with even more stupid looking mesh, and all the cheap tacky add-ons you could ever think of plastered over it. :thumbd:
    Edited by: darrynK

10. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Not sure myself... The crease in the back pillar, and the odd Mk2 hybrid front just don't work for me at all... 5 door Mk1s can look great if done right, but you need lots of chrome... Dashboard looks intersting though!

11. jake Forum Member

I saw one yesterday, and as Darren pointed out the L shaped crease in the rear looks pony but I guess you could loose that and the grille and make a nice car.

12. hayesey Forum Junkie

I think they're cool.

I've seen them at shows & they do have a sort of wierd look about them. its a mk1 golf, but at the same time it's kind of not a mk1 golf.

better than the mk5 golf IMO anyway.

tis a shame they only do 5 door but then the idea of them is cheap practical motoring for the south african market, not a stylish car for european markets. I reckon Pigs would fly before VW would release it to the UK market.

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

There is a p-reg lime green one near me.

14. Rahul Forum Junkie

but for modern manufacturing they look hugely out of date!

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

i like it [:D]

16. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Looks like a skoda favorit (sp)

17. zak. Forum Member

I think its just been given a facelift over in SA, i like the new back screen with the flat integrated wiper.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Turn yours around & it will lay flat :lol:

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

I didn't realise they are rhd? Duh me (true?)

[​IMG]

20. nuttinnew Forum Member

Dashboard; I am wanting :p

6k; CityRover or Citi?