New member and Help

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Phill Novas, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Good Morning, My name is Phill and I am new to the group.
    This is the first time I have joined a group or really got involved with my cars so please bare with [:[].
    I am after some help, I drive a 2011 MK6 GTI and since I bought the car have had an issue with the EML being on, Main problem is its running rich with two recurring codes, P0172 and P0518.
    P0172 telling me its running rich ( detecting to much fuel in the exhaust gases exiting the chamber )
    P0518 Intermittent problem with the idle air intake control circuit.

In general the car runs fine, but after a drive and the engine is hot it struggles to re-start without tickling the throttle then runs a little lumpy.

I have replaced several parts ie. MAF, MAP, pre cat O2 sensor, Plugs and coils to no joy, I am trying to find where the IACV is located but cannot seem to find, when searching on line for a replacement the part looks like nothing I can see under the bonnet but thought I read somewhere that it is combined in the throttle body, is this the case or can someone help on locating.

Thanks in advance

2. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi and welcome!!

What brands of parts were you using? If they're not Bosch or Genuine there's a chance that they could be causing the problems. Its unfortunate but for any precisions sensors such as MAP and O2 the aftermarket is very hit and miss and sometimes causes more trouble than its worth.

Couple of easy things to check on there: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16556/P0172/000370
    Your car doesn't have an idle control valve, its just an electric throttle body. I doubt there is an issue with that and if there is I imagine you'll cry at the cost of a new one. Again should be Bosch, Genuine or possible Pierburg if you have to replace

3. Hi,

Thanks for the response, to be honest not to sure what make they are but think they are working okay as getting all the same readings as the originals that I replaced, I`ve been through everything I can with no joy so think I am going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage to get diagnosed, :cry:.
    Unfortunately I`m not that mechanically savvy enough or have the time to attempt doing anything else such as changing injectors etc