New Member - Mk2 16v Restoration

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Ecurie Ecosse, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Hi Guys

I have just joined the forum after a recommendation from a friend.

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first VW, a 1991 GTI 16v 5 door in Oak Green.

The car hasn't run for 18 months. It won't start - the previous owner thinks it may be due to the alarm / immobiliser system that is on it. He has put it into a local garage who had hacked about with the electrics to no avail.

But.... the car is amazingly original, in good rust free condition, has an amazing interior and has all its handbooks and all the invoices from new, including the original bill of sale.

I am going to be working on the car with a friend over the winter. The intention is to make it as original as possible, and return it to its former glory.

It has had some good recent work, including a new clutch 2k miles ago (it has 159k on the clock).

So, there is a lot of work ahead, but we are really, really excited about how it will turn out.

I will post some pics soon. I don't have any good pics as yet as it has always been dark when we have been with the car.

Work we have done so far (mainly cosmetic):

- Replaced the BBS RAs with a refurbed set of BBS RAs with new Toyo Proxes tyres (OK - I know these weren't the original tyres :) )

- Taken out the old parcel shelf which has 6x9s in it, and replaced it with an uncut parcel shelf;

- Replaced the debadged single head light grille (the only mod) with an original twin light grille.

- Removed the ICE system.

- Replaced the battery.

- Removed the alarm and immobiliser system.

- Fixed the wind deflector.

Work to come:

- Rewire the car so it starts again :)

- Replace the brake calipers, discs and pads;

- Replace the springs and shocks with OEM spec;

- Replace the exhaust with an OEM system;

- Source and fit a Blaupunkt radio cassette (anyone know where I can get one?);

- Fix the driver's seat which seems to have come of its runners.

- Some minor paintwork.

Work I am still pondering over:

- I am considering doing an ABF conversion on the car but, given its originality, I am thinking it will be a shame to take out the original unit. We could do some tweaks to the 1.8 instead, I suppose.

So, quite a lot of work, but we cannot wait to get it back to its former glory!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

i have a panonic tape that was in my 8v.

i am doing the oposite to my mk2 trying to keep original look out side and modern inside.

3. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Very nice car!

I would be interested in the tape deck - please can you PM me details.