New Polo GTI - Fog Light Change

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Cavablah, Apr 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cavablah New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to this, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not.

Wondering if someone could shed a little light on how to remove/change the fog light on the new Polo GTI 1.8TSI?
    VW have fitted full LED headlights on the new models, apart from the fog lights, which looks really stupid!
    I had a 6R Polo before, which had holes on the front panel, which made removing the light super easy.
    This one on the other hand, doesn't have anything like that! And with it being a new car, I don't want go to around pulling bits off!

The owner's manual only has a way to remove the standard Polo light, which has said "hole" mentioned above.

Hoping that someone on here has been in the same situation and can offer some help

Pictures attached of how both sets of lights look together and a rough idea of the front panel.
    Excuse the poor pictures, it was a nice day outside and ruined them a bit.

Cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. datguy New Member

Hey there... Hope you well...
    Any luck with this.
    I am sitting with the same problem?

3. danielshorsey05 New Member

HI,

I am also in the same dazed situation. You are right that the owners handbook describes how to change the fog light on the standard polos, but not for the different GTI style.

I have been searching high and low for a instructions to change the fog on the internet. If anyone has any information then it would be very useful.

I may have to contact my local VW dealership to get some insight. If I have any luck I will share on here, if no one has already by then

4. danielshorsey05 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have managed to get to the fog lights with a little bit of prodding. It is actually very easy! All you need is some trim tools and carefully, but quite firmly pull out the side grill starting from the side closest to the middle grill. It is very tightly fitted and will require some force to take off, but with careful even force it will come off a treat!

Once off, there are two hex screws at the bottom of the light unit. There is a tool by your spare type in the boot that you can use to unscrew them

[​IMG]

Hope this helps some people!

5. marrky New Member

Great pics
    May i ask what bulb type is the replacement?
    H8,H11?

6. Cavablah New Member

Update

Apologies for abandoning this thread,

I eventually figured it out for myself. One of my LED's decided to die the other day, so I snapped some pictures of how to take the cover off.
    I found this handy wee tool in the boot that was perfect. Just slide it into the small gap shown below and give it a good (but gentle) yank.
    Just slide your fingers carefully around the edge to work the rest of the cover off. Be careful how you get it back on, I almost bent a clip!

Bulb is pretty self explanatory, two screws holding the fitting in, just remove them and pop the unit out with a bit more gentle persuasion.

Bulbs are also H8.

Hopefully this helps any future readers!

[​IMG]

7. Cavablah New Member