New Polo GTI - Owners Opinions

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by zoid, Jun 28, 2006.

1. zoid Forum Member

Hi,
    Interested to hear from any new Polo GTI owners, how you are finding the car, performance, handling, likes and dislikes, the pros and the cons, etc....

I've taken one out very briefly for a test drive, but wasn't long enough to form an opinion on the car, however I really like how it looks (like a smaller Golf GTI), and at nearly 6K cheaper, is the Golf really that much better to justify the extra price? Also running costs must be considerably cheaper when you take into account that the Polo is group 13 and the Golf is group 17 insurance. Not only that but at my local VW dealership they are far more willing to do a deal on the Polo than the Golf, they have even said that they could probably much an Internet price for the Polo, so far the best price I've been quoted is a shade of 13,600.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

If i could afford one at the moment, then id definitely consider one. I love the styling and with a remap you are looking at lots of fun. Polo chassis isnt the greatest in the world as far as handling goes so ive heard though. Might need sorting where thats concerned.

3. stu h Forum Member

I quite like the polo, 150bhp with decent remap potential + decent styling.

but if it were me, and i've thought about it! (lots!) I would buy a second hand Golf GTI. I reckon it would hold its value a hell of a lot better in the long run and it's the real deal, whereas the polo is just a little replica, although they seem to have made more of an effort with this model.

if your serious about the polo, the dealer should let you have it for a much longer test drive.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I drove the boss's one yesterday (or Tuesday?) - felt nice and new, probably because it is nice and new.
    Spacey enough, goes OK but not startling, hate the interior but that's just my opinion.
    As Deako said, it REALLY needs the suspension sorting out though. Nearly feels like a Pug 205 Gti on the lift-off oversteer, but a bit more wallowy!
    It does, however, perform excellently on the critical "Handbrake turn in front of the new owner" test - a perfect 180, then ease it back into the parking space.......[:D]

5. madmk4 Forum Member

I had a polo 6n2 for a month.. They certainly hold up well in a crash !

6. LIMITERDAVE In Delete Queue

Honestly they are distinctly average i have also test driven one and was not that impressed!!!! I have to say the second polo gti i drove in cardiff had a lush abt body kit on it and a performance exhaust much better than standard they have had it a while and the price has dropped from 17k to 15k!! and prob think it will sell for nearer the price u are looking at. BUT i still prefer the drive of my polo gti 6n2 feels more exciting to drive, and just as quick i think. would love 2 race someone with one! there arnt many round tho.

7. Daz... Forum Member

:clap:

I hope the boss has got you a nice christmas present for thoroughly "testing" the new car :lol:

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

I'm picking up mine just befiore xmas.

[:D] [8D]